Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ELT replacement

ELT replacement 1 year 3 weeks ago #99

• SCOTTSHERER
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi everyone,
My 1977 Seneca has an old Ameriking AK450 121.5/243 elt. I see that the prices have come down on new 406mHz ELT's and I'm considering one. It looks like the AK451-RK1C is the replacement at about $600. Has anyone else put in a 406 ELT? What kind? Can you share your experience?

Scott Sherer
N344TB
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ELT replacement continued 7 months 4 weeks ago #173

• SCOTTSHERER
Hi everyone,

My Seneca is in annual at the moment and I went to visit it last Thursday and see what my new mechanic had to say. I moved to BUU last year because I had a great experience with some unplanned maintenance. I was pleasantly surprised again at the quality of the work being done at BUU. Even though I showed up unannounced my mechanic stopped what he was doing, grabbed his notes and went over everything with me. He told me what issues could wait and what issues couldn't. Very nice. Unfortunately, it's time for an ELT change. Apparently I've been flying with an old ELT that has many false alarms. Since my plane is in good shape and I'm not having an expensive annual I've opted to install a new AK-451 retrofit 406 ELT. Stay tuned, in another week or so I'll get my plane back and I'll be able to report on the new ELT.

Best,
Scott
N344TB

ELT replacement continued 7 months 3 weeks ago #176

• JOEDELENE
  • Junior Boarder
I just came out of annual at BUU, always a few things adding up. That recent turn-buckle AD was another, but I do need reliable controls. I have no complaints, they have been easy to deal with.

I'm considering a 406 ELT, just starting to look into it, cost & all. I don't normally fly in the remote bush, but do the U.P. of MI fairly often

ELT replacement continued 7 months 2 weeks ago #192

• SCOTTSHERER
Hi Joe,

My annual at BUU is just finishing and my mechanic, Erick, told me that my ELT has gone west. I had an AK-450 installed and I instructed him to purchase a new AK-451 triple frequency upgrade ELT with 406. I went to visit the plane today and he was finishing installation. It slides right into the old case without any airframe change. It also uses the same wiring for the remote switch. So other than unclipping the old ELT and placing the new ELT in the old ELT case, you install a new remote switch and a new antenna. And that's it. One other paperwork item: I filled out an Emergency Contact form and mailed it to NOAA so that if they pick up my signal they now know to whom it belongs. Much better than the old system.

You can come over and see it if you wish, just let me know.

Best,
Scott Sherer
N344TB

ELT replacement continued 7 months 1 week ago #196

• JOEDELENE
  • Junior Boarder
One of these days I will check it out, thanks. Spring should be here any week now.

ELT replacement continued 7 months 1 week ago #197

• SCOTTSHERER
Hi Joe,

Just a quick fyi. I'm moving from hangar 973 to 997 this weekend. Now I'm even closer to your hangar. I look forward to meeting you one of these Saturdays.

Scott
N344TB
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds