Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Operating TIO-540

1 week 2 hours ago #1303

I'm in the early stages of researching an SOP for flying a three bladed 1980 PA-32T, with a S1AD engine, and a JPI EDM 830 engine monitor.

The POH recommends a max TIT of 1350F, but Lycoming publishes a max turbine temp of 1650F, which seems excessively hot to me. I'm skeptical about Lycoming's TIT temp of 1650F, because they also publish a red line CHT of I believe 450F, which I believe is dangerously hot.

I'm half way through reading John Deakin's excellent Turbo Charging articles, and he states that TIT, during climb should never exceed 1290F, as temps in excess of 1290F, will soon lead to dangerously high CHT's (no higher than 400F).

There really is very little guidance in the POH regarding running this engine other than max MP is 36" and the over boost light illuminates at 36.5, and if it does, back the throttle off. There is also the note: For descent power maintain at least 1350F EGT and 15" of MP.

Right now, I'm thinking of running the engine as follows:

TO: Everything forward unless the "Over-boost" light illuminates, then back off throttle until light is out
Climb: Leaning to 1290F in climb, to top of climb, say 10,000 or below.
Cruise 65% or less: Throttle 24", RPM 2300, Mixture, re lean to 1290F.
Decent: Plan the decent to stage cool the engine, no more 2" power reduction per 1000', while keeping TIT @ 1290F, while monitoring CHT's.

I just found a Lycoming TIO-540-A2A operators manual online, that I just started looking at, and it seems to have some good information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you, Dave Wacker

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds