Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Important info for owners of late-model G 1000 Saratogas

• Jen D
  • Jen D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 week 2 days ago #1470

If you own a late-model Saratoga with a G-1000 glass panel and have had trouble updating your software, please read the following. A member contacted us with this problem, Kent called Simon Caldecott at Piper and we were given information about a coming fix.
Here's the correspondence:

Dear Editor,
I recently purchased a beautiful 2007 Saratoga II TC. It is actually the third from the last Saratoga ever built according to FAA records. It has the full G-1000 glass panel which was quite a challenge to learn to use after 25+ years of steam gauges.
Some of the G-1000 features don’t work (Checklists and Metars at destination airports, to name but two). After numerous calls to Garmin and Piper I’ve ascertained that although Garmin built the platform and many of its features, it is up to the airplane manufacturer to provide the software insofar as it relates to the particular aircraft and certain of the applications. Apparently the checklists, use of memory for certain weather functions, and perhaps other features I’ve not yet discovered to be missing or out of date, are among those items that Piper was responsible for handling. When I discussed this with Piper I was told that when they stopped making the Saratoga, they also stopped taking care of (updating) the software for that plane.

So here I am with the state of the art glass panel that doesn’t keep up. I asked if they (both Piper and Garmin) had any ideas and they did not. I am wondering if you have any ideas, perhaps independent software programmers, etc., who might be able to update the software and add the missing features? Even my “old” 530/430 let me enter the checklists manually, but this “state of the art” equipment does not.
I would appreciate any help you or your readers might be able to offer.
Jerry Gottlieb
N3114A

Hi Jerry,
I reached out to Piper and Simon Caldecott and Ron Gunnerson got back to me. Please see Ron’s response and what Piper is doing to address these concerns.
I do hope this addresses some of your concerns. Please keep me in the loop.

Best Regards.

Kent Dellenbusch
Vice President

Good Morning Kent,

Thanks for the note to Simon last week and for passing on Mr. Gottlieb’s questions concerning upgrades for late model, G1000 equipped PA32 aircraft.

Piper and Garmin are supporting a key, mutual dealer partner of ours, Des Moines Flying Service, in bringing to market an upgrade package for G1000 equipped PA32 aircraft. STC availability is targeting Q1, 2019.

Some of the planned improvements include:

• Ability to display Garmin Flight Chart as an option, versus only Jeppesen Charts
• Synthetic Vision for added additional situational awareness
• GDL-69A SXM receiver for satellite weather to your navigation display and audio entertainment
• Adding the GTX-345R to meet the FAA 2020 ADS-B out mandate, to display ADS-B Weather and enable ADS-B In capability

A good contact for additional information at Des Moines Flying Service is: Arnold Hill,

Sincerely,
Ron Gunnarson
Vice President, Sales, Marketing & Customer Support
Piper Aircraft, Inc.

Arnold,
I’m not sure if you are aware of the correspondence between Ron Gunnarson and Kent Dellenbusch but I am the “Mr. Gottlieb” who is the owner of a late model PA-32-301T. Actually my 2007 Saratoga II TC (Ser # 3257490) is the third from the last ever built and has the G-1000.

I first contacted them (and everyone else I could think of) because my G-1000 had no “Checklists” (or even the ability to put my own in as I had been able on my previous 530/430) and would not display METARS at the destination airports even though I had all of the correct subscriptions and settings. That is when I first found out about the need for Piper to provide the upgrade to correct what I assumed was a Garmin problem.

I am delighted to hear that you or your company are working on a solution. Please put me on your list of owners who would be glad to pay for such an upgrade. I’m would also be glad to act as a reviewer or tester or whatever else may help move this along.

Jerry Gottlieb
N3114A

Jerry,
Very nice to hear from you.

Will put you on the list for the upgrade.

We currently have an STC project aircraft S/N 3257469, this may need to change. If needed we will contact you, with further details.

We are currently working diligently this project. The next phase of needing an aircraft will be to put it into experimental category, finish witnessed compliance testing, and do the FAA performance/compliance Flight Tests.

Arnold Hill
Avionics Manager
Des Moines Flying Service, Inc.
515-256-5300
800-622-8311

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds