Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon FIRST AIRPLANE

• czse51
  • czse51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 years 8 months ago #458

In the market for my first airplane and trying to decide between a warrior or a 140. I have my eye on an Archer as well, but leaning toward the 140. any advice for buying a 140?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #459

Hi Greg,

Thanks for writing for advice. I've been flying Cherokees since the year when they were built, lol. I've flown numerous Cherokee 140's and have owned a Warrior. My total time in type would have to be about a 1,000 hours. While this doesn't make me an expert, I certainly have enough experience to at least voice an opinion. The Cherokee 140B is as far back as I would go, personally. The B model has a throttle quadrant rather than push-pull type knobs and a standardized six-pack-based instrument panel including circuit breakers instead of fuses. If you wind up with a B model or newer you'll be quite happy. Both the B model and newer are very nice machines, as is the Warrior. If dollars would permit I would take the Warrior for two reasons other than the Warrior being newer. Reason 1: The tapered wings improve aileron/roll control. While the Cherokee 140 has Hershey bar wings (as does my Seneca), the roll control is more than adequate but not as nice as the Warrior. Truth be told, I wish my Seneca had tapered wings. Reason 2: The Warrior has 20 additional horse power which will give you a greater climb rate and service ceiling. I don't believe that you will cruise much faster in the Warrior. Finally, at the end of the day dollars will probably drive your decision. Don't worry too much about the year of manufacture but try and get an airplane with the lowest number of hours on both the airframe and the engine. Airframe time is more important than engine time because you can overhaul the engine but you can't overhaul the airframe. If you need any help evaluating an airplane please let me know and I'll be glad to assist.

Best,
Scott Sherer
N344TB

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D

• czse51
  • czse51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 years 8 months ago #460

Scott
Thanks for your information. Just started looking at some Warriors to see if any fit my needs. Quick question, on average what is the highest airframe time I should consider? I have seen times from mid 3k to 12K

More
2 years 8 months ago #461

Hi Greg,

Excellent question, hard to answer. It is much more important to have a good airframe than a low time airframe but having said that I personally won't buy an airplane with more than about 5,000 hours on it. If you can get one with 3,000 to 4,000 even better. Make sure that you have a mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection and not the mechanic that is currently maintaining the airplane but an independent one. And make sure that there's very little or no corrosion.

Scott Sherer
N344TB

More
2 years 7 months ago #463

Here's some information from one of our tech guys - Mike Berry - regarding corrosion:
With any aging aircraft constructed of metal corrosion is a serious issue.
Some areas of concern are:
1) potential corrosion on the flap hinge. 2) Potential corrosion on the aileron at the hinge. 3) Potential corrosion on the wing rear spar at the fuselage attach fitting. 4) Potential corrosion on the wing front spar at the fuselage attach fitting, at the landing gear attach point, and behind the leading edge fuel tank. 5) Potential corrosion on the vertical stabilizer forward attach point.
Aircraft that are tied down outside in areas of high humidity, or areas of high pollution are much more at risk for one or more of these areas of corrosion. The cost to repair may be more than the aircraft is worth or worse yet a casting such as a wing spar attachment point or landing gear component may not be available at any cost degrading the aircraft to salvage value only. Spend the time and money to inspect the aircraft to determine the existence of corrosion and how it may be corrected or repaired.

More
2 years 7 months ago #468

Hi Greg,

What's new? Have you found a Warrior/140 that's fits the bill? Are you still looking? Send us an update when you have a moment.

Best,
Scott Sherer
N344TB

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds