Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Performance curves for mountain flying

• JOSEPHSENER
  • JOSEPHSENER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 year 7 months ago #898

I am about to fly out to Colorado for some mountain flying training. As I look at the performance curves for my PA 28-236 it is clear that they don't accommodate pressure altitudes of 10,000 feet plus density altitudes above that.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to determine take off performance at those altitudes?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #899

Hi Joseph,
I've got the word out to see what we can find out for you.
Jen

More
1 year 7 months ago #900

HI Joseph,
Here's a answer from Steve Ells:
Hi;
I recommend that you contact the mountain flying school you’ll be flying with and ask them. Another source is www.mountainflying.com , and the “Mountain Flying Bible” by Sparky Imeson.
Here’s one of Sparky’s Rules of Thumb for calculating TO distance when flying an airplane with a constant speed prop.
“To the standard, sea level takeoff distance, add 10 percent for each 1,000 feet density altitude up to 8,000 feet. Add 15 percent for each additional 1,000 feet above 8,000 feet”
He give the example of a Cessna 180 at MTOW under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level requires 625 feet of ground roll for takeoff.
At 7,500 feet it requires 1,100 feet for takeoff
7,500 = 7.5 times 10 or 75 percent (0.75)
625 + (625 x .75) = 1093.75.

Here’s a rule of thumb for density altitude effect on rate of climb for a constant speed prop airplane:
“Reduce sea level rate of climb by 6 percent for each 1,000 feet density altitude up to 8,500 feet and 8 percent for each thousand feet above 8,500 feet.
These rules should help you create the performance numbers for your airplane.
The Mountain Flying Bible is a must have for all pilots.

Best,
Steve

• JOSEPHSENER
  • JOSEPHSENER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 year 7 months ago #901

Wow, Steve!

This is really what I needed. I will vet it with the flying school when I get there. The ground school will be 8 hours long so the detail should also be sufficient. Thanks for the help!
Joe

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds