Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Winterization plate for oil cooler.

• SSTOCKMEIER
  • SSTOCKMEIER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 5 days ago #1200

I have a 1973 PA28-140 with an AVCON O-360-A4M STC. My oil cooler is mounted behind the rear left cylinder. It would be very difficult to put a winterization plate on the front of the oil cooler but easy to install one on the rear of it.Has anyone ever seen it installed on the rear of the cooler? I would think it would be the same result. Thanks for any info.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #1201

Hi Scott; I've never seen on installed on the back of a cooler in my 40 years of aero maintenance. I suppose someone would start a business manufacturing "winter fronts" as they're called for older Cessnas and Pipers, because the original ones are few and far between.
When I worked in Alaska, most owners cut a piece of aluminum to cover most of the oil cooler, and then used duct tape to attach it to the front to the cooler. As far as I know, no one ever got busted for it, but that was Alaska.
The chances of there even being a winterization plate for your modified airplane are pretty lean.
If I were you, I would fabricate a piece of aluminum to cover a portion of the cooler. You want to cover enough to get the oil temperature up to 180 degrees F, if possible.

More
1 month 2 days ago #1202

I asked Wayne Thomas of Pacific Oil Cooler - here's his take:
"Hello Jen,
I suppose that mounting the winterization plate would work just about the same, even if mounted on the rear of the oil cooler. You’re still accomplishing the intended result which is to prevent airflow through the core of the oil cooler.
I have not seen one attached in that location – but then, we never get to see an actual aircraft. Just the oil coolers.
Thank you very much!"

I'm not familiar with the AVCON modification - can you tell us more about it?
Jen

Sincerely,

Wayne Thomas
Sr. Sales and Technical Advisor
Pacific Oil Cooler Service, Inc.

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds