Topic-icon PA28R200 watery oil from the breather tube

• Baris Yildirim
  • Baris Yildirim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #1308

1969 Arrow 200 owner here.
I saw this morning a small puddle of black watery oil on the hangar floor, right below the breather tubes. I am not sure what to think of it. Is it something to worry about? I always had a few drops dripping before but not as much as what I saw this morning. I did some circuit training yesterday. Could that cause some extra blow by?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago #1325

Sorry for the lateness of this reply; I thought I had answered it from my iPad about a week ago.
I would not worry much about the moisture you're seeing. Moisture is a by product of the combustion process and since our engines are open to local atmospheric conditions--though the breather tube--moisture in the air does condense on the inner surfaces of the engine.
The presence of moisture is the primary reason running an engine on the ground is a very poor practice since it never completely gets all the engine parts and the oil up to full operating temperature. Flying to "cook" out the moisture or using an engine dehydrator when not flying are the only ways to to combat the effects of the moisture.
Local atmospheric conditions will increase the likelihood of moisture formation.
I advise you to continue to monitor the situation; unless you're seeing variations in other engine parameters such as increased oil usage I believe you good to keep flying.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds