Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Getting more heat to front of aircraft

More
18 Dec 2020 16:31 #2780

As I wrote, this system is simple. The guy at Diamondaire recommended that you look at the diffuser at the aft end of the heater for any blockage, and to try to see if there's a loose flap or some thing that blocks off the heat to the front seat when in flight.
Please let me know what you find.
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• GEORGE WERDERICH
  • GEORGE WERDERICH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
16 Dec 2020 19:33 #2777

Hi Steve
Hoses appear to be correct hoses, The front air openings are un blocked, The forward cabin heat control when we opened it when we reinstalled Ovid heater looked as though it opened fully.
The hose routing in the Piper parts manual appears the same as my plane. I do not like how it heads forward and then does a 180 back to fire wall. The defroster tube heads straight back from heater then up inside of fire wall.
My possible thought is that the overflow vent is venting all the hot air out n flight. I am going to see how that is possible, maybe the flapper close off for the heater is being pulled closed. Even thoug rod and mechianism still are supposed to be holding it open.
Lastly the canvas cover in front is new and installed. I don’t gets much cold air leakage up front.
There is a puzzlement to me. On the schematic the valve for rear heat appears to before the middle seat heat vent, mine is aft of that vent. When using front heat to close off middle vent you need to use vent cover inside plane. Thanks for the help, I have thought about rerouting the front air hoses. Plane is in for annual in January may give that a try as well as pulling diffuser bonnet off rear of heater.

More
16 Dec 2020 17:35 #2776

Hi George;
Make sure you have the right drawings for the hose routings for your short nose Aztec. The drawings are different for the long nose Aztec.
I spoke with a couple of experts and here's what they suggested.
Are you using the correct hose to connect the heater to the vents? The SCAT hose is one layer; SCEET hose is two layer and is the correct hose for this installation. It's also important to route the hoses to minimize sharp bends.
Your heater should bake you out of the airplane with the heater on HI.
#1 check to make sure the valves are moved by the "Front seat" heat valve controls are opening completely.
2# Check visually to see if there's any blockage in the front seat vents when the heater is running.
#3 is the canvas blanket covering the nose gear in good shape? If it lets air in, that will dilute the heated air into the cabin area.

Take at look at these areas and let me know what you find.
Steve

• GEORGE WERDERICH
  • GEORGE WERDERICH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
16 Dec 2020 01:17 #2772

Hello, I am the owner of a 1960 Piper Aztec s/n 18. I believe it is the oldest flying Aztec at least in the US.
I would like some advice on getting more airflow to the front seat leg area and defroster vents on the aircraft.
The heater puts out fine, I get very nice airflow with heat to the vent behind pilots seat and rear seat. On the ground with the ground blower going I get some air flow, not much though out of front vents and defroster. When airborne, I get no airflow from those vents at all. I have switched air intake in the nose from the original heater inlet behind the nose cone, to the cold air inlet which has scoop outside the nose. Both with the same result. By the way I blocked the cold air duct so nothing comes from it. When testing unit on ground, I do get some airflow out to front and defroster and there is no outflow from the overflow vent. I have checked all hoses and ducts, they are all clear. I have used vacuum cleaner air to simulate inflight air and I do get airflow thru heater. However not much goes to cabin front. The shutoff valve for the back heat vent is aft of the vent behind front seat. Does anyone have any ideas why I get no airflow from heater to front of or raft in flight. Also does anyone know of a blower motor that could be installed in duct line going to those forward positions. I tried a boat bilge vent blower, it worked, but the fan blade was plastic and it couldn’t handle the heat and melted a bit and seized. By the way this was testing on the ground. Any help would be great. George Werderich

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds

Cookies