Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Flying an Apache

• Eric Parks
  • Eric Parks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
23 Sep 2022 21:41 #3631

Everyone gets in on the act! I got to make a new sheet metal backing for the carpet on the cabin sidewall. It looked pretty tired so it got replaced. We used a thicker gauge so we can consider it an upgrade! I'm sure it's quieter or more smooth or.... something!

We missed some workdays this week but we are still on track to finish next week. At least I hope so!

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
20 Sep 2022 23:41 #3628

All the leads have been attached to the engine and all wiring has been pulled for the right engine now. Time to start connecting everything and see if it works!

All the wires have to be labeled and kept track of so everything goes to the right place

Today we had some good news. We had been planning on replacing the Starter Relays on the Apache since the Master Relay had croaked after much engine cranking. So we planned on replacing the Starter Relays during this upgrade period. However, try as we might we never could figure out where Mr. Piper has hidden them. Finally I contacted Kent and asked him to direct me to someone that could point us in the right direction. He got ahold of Tom Pentecost at DAS Flightline and Tom sent us a diagram. When we looked at it we realized there were NO Starter Relays, just the Master Relay we had already put in. So we were looking for something that wasn't there! No wonder we couldn't find it!

Also, the "cooling box" (plenum?) around the right engine is in good shape so we don't need to refurbish it any more than just clean it up and paint it. Less work is good!

Attachments:

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
20 Sep 2022 23:27 #3627

Jen D wrote: That's awesome! Clem looks a little perturbed! Long hours at the Piper factory?? :silly: :lol:

And now Clem has been stuck inside the sidewall of my Apache! I'd be perturbed too! :P

More
12 Sep 2022 17:18 #3609

That's awesome! Clem looks a little perturbed! Long hours at the Piper factory?? :silly: :lol:

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 Sep 2022 02:32 #3607

Here are the gauges taken out of the Apache for the upgrade. There is still one more gauge to go that has not been removed yet. The newer gauge installation takes up way less instrument panel space and they weigh less too.

Attachments:

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 Sep 2022 02:29 #3606

Say "Hi" to "Clem"! While installing the OAT sensor on the side of the fuselage I found this bit of "art" drawn on the inside of the outer left fuselage skin of the plane. I didn't see it until pulling back the insulation. Not sure if it was drawn when the plane was made or by later mechanic.

So now you know an "inner secret" of my Apache!
BTW, no, I do not call my plane "Clem".:cheer:

Attachments:

Time to create page: 2.233 seconds

Cookies