Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-iconBaggage weight limit on PA-24 180

• Ted Veal
  • Ted  Veal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #1984

I am wondering why my 180 is limited to 100 lbs baggage where other 180's appear to be allowed 200 lbs. Is it possible to get my baggage limit raised to the 200 lb limit?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #1986

Hi, I too own a 180 Comanche; mine is a 1960 and so I can put 200 pounds in the baggage area. As you know the 100 lb limit for the baggage area only applied to serial numbers 001 through 102. All others serial numbers had 200 lb baggage area weight limits.
I am reaching out to other Comanche owners to find if there's a reason. From my research in the Comanche parts book, it doesn't appear that Piper made any changes to the structure under the baggage floor at serial number 103.
I'll let you know what I find.
Steve

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #1994

Hi Ted; I have copied an answer from Comanche expert Zach Grant. I hope it provides a satisfactory explanation.
Steve,
There is a lot of mumbo jumbo that went into that. The original 100 production airplanes were short nose aircraft. The cowling was 2.75 inches shorter than the later models though there were short nosed 180s after the 102 mark as well. The battery was on the firewall on all of the early 180s as well. Structurally the baggage floor is pretty much the same, which is to say minimal but adequate. The original plan was that the aircraft was to be certified under the provisions of car3 that allowed an aircraft to have limitations that rendered it impossible to ever be out of CG. With the published limitations of 100lbs baggage and both front seats to be occupied before rear seats it worked out. Subsequently the FAA required the CG calculations be published and that became part of the certification with a published envelope, and a true weight and balance calculation, which allowed the limit weights to be much less restrictive and eliminated some of the loading limits. The PA-24 actually was an oddball certification as it was caught between the old CAR3, and the new CAR3, as well as the change from the Civil Aviation Authority to the FAA. That explains why many things are incorporated into the TCDS that should have been on equipment lists etc, had the certification actually happened under other than transition rule circumstances. Not sure if this totally answers your question, but hopefully it sheds some light on the why.
I couldn't find any provision that allows owners of early Comanches to load more than 100 pounds in the baggage compartment.
Sorry,
Steve

• Ted Veal
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #1998

Hi Steve, Thanks for finding an answer to my questions. I am wondering what the weight and balance specs are for the 200 lb baggage airplane. Can you give me some direction as to where I can get that information? Just curious what the differences, if any, may be.
Thanks again!

More
3 weeks 9 hours ago #2000

Hi Ted;
I have attached what is called the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) for the PA 24 Piper Comanche singles. The only difference between your 100 # baggage airplane and my 200 # baggage airplane is in the "Maximum Baggage" listing. The maximum take off weight (MTOW) called the maximum weight in the TCDS is the same for all PA 24 180s. As are the weight and balance center of gravity fore and aft limits.
Happy Flying,
Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

• Ted Veal
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #2003

Hi Steve, Thanks for the info. and help. Do you know what the process might be to get my baggage weight raised to 200 lbs?
Or is it realistically not feasible?
Ted

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds