Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Removing vacuum gauges with a wet vacuum pump

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #2244

Havis;
The breather tube comes out of the fitting on the upper part of the accessory case of the engine and then is routed down the firewall on the copilots side and exits on that side. There should be a small sheet metal deflector riveted to the right side of the cowling just outside the wheel well area-the breather tube should exit just behind the deflector. I use a rubber hose to a metal tube and secured the metal tube to the firewall.
If you need to fabricate a metal tube you can get aluminum tubing of all sizes at Aircraft Spruce and Specialty ( www.aircraftspruce.com )

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Havis Wright
  • Havis  Wright's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 3 days ago #2237

The question I didn't ask. What happens to the crank case ventilator after the oil separator is removed? Also, any idea where we might get a copy of a 337 for this upgrade. Thanks.

More
7 months 6 days ago #2233

My research shows that the Airborne Mechanisms 113A1 is the part number for a vacuum pump.
I believe the KW 3001 part number is for a FAA approved air oil separator system manufactured by a company called Walker Air Sep.
Walker Air Sep was bought by AirWolf ( www.airwolf.com ). AirWolf continues to sell an air oil separator system that looks identical to the system sold by Walker Air Sep.

• Havis Wright
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 1 week ago #2231

Best information I find, on the air oil separator is, KW-3001 Air-Oil Separator System. Also on the equipment list is, Airborne Mechanisms 113A1, not sure if these parts are related. Thanks for your expertise.

More
7 months 1 week ago #2227

Hi, I'm not sure what you're asking.
It is OK to remove the wet vacuum pump, the vacuum regulator, the vacuum gauge and the vacuum system filter since there are no longer any vacuum driven instruments in the airplane. Enter the removal in the aircraft weight and balance records.
You will need a plate, part number 60430 (Lycoming) and a gasket 8313 to cover the hole in the accessory case.
What type of air oil separator is installed??

Steve

• Havis Wright
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 1 week ago #2225

Upgrading my 1961 Comanche panel with two Garmin G5's. A&P was not aware the plane wet vacuum system going in now looking for solutions on options. The pump contains a oil separator, which if possible would like to salvage. Thanks for your response.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds

Cookies