Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon control wheel (yoke) removal from shaft

• John Barco
  • John Barco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #1535

Does anyone have any info on removing the control yoke from the shaft it is attached to. I see a pin on the bottom of the yoke but no apparent way to drive the pin out or remove it without drilling through the powder coating. It must come off, but I can't see an easy way to remove it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #1934

John did you figure out the removal of the yoke yet. I just bought 2 used ones to replace my old style and don't want to screw anything up.

More
2 weeks 10 hours ago #1936

There is quite a bit of discussion about this and most of it revolves around why you want to remove it. If you want to remove it to refinish it or powder coat it, the consensus is to unbolt the U-joint at the front end of the control yoke shaft. The refinisher will know how to protect the shaft.
I found only one response about taking out the tapered pin that holds the yoke to the shaft. The responder says that the pin needs to be drilled down far enough to get an EZ Out into the hole. The EZ Out is designed to "grab" frozen screws and this guy says if the drill cuts a straight hole and the EZ Out is sharp it will grab the walls of the pin, which will enable you to pull it out.
If you don't feel comfortable doing this; you're not tool savvy or you don't want to buy the tools, etc. I recommend removing the shaft/yoke assembly and taking it to a local machinist or to your A & P to let him do the work out of the airframe.
Since the pin has to be removed after you start drilling it, it's important to support and stabilize the yoke-usually this is done in a vise- so the drill operation is a stable operation.
Good luck

• John Barco
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
2 weeks 7 hours ago #1937
Attachments:

• John Barco
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
2 weeks 7 hours ago #1938

Yes ray, I did. I installed Bonanza style yokes instead of the Piper yokes.

I removed the yokes and shafts as a unit from the aircraft. I drilled an access hole on the top of the yoke where the covered end on the pin would be and used a hydraulic press to push the pin out. It's a tapered pin and will only come out from the top to the bottom. I believe they apply an adhesive to the pin when it's installed to secure it. Alternatively, I expect a drift punch and a hammer would accomplish the same thing.

My new yokes from Cygnet mount a different way so I did not need to reuse the pins.

I did not find this to be a complicated or difficult project. Pretty straight forward. I don't think trying to pull them out from the bottom will work because of the adhesive. They are made to be installed onto the shafts in a one time operation and not intended to be removed. I think the Piper part number is for the yoke/shaft combination and not just the yoke.

Let me know if you have any questions.

The old yokes are still usable. Someone could fill the drill hole and re-powder coat them before re-pinning them on the shafts and installing them in an aircraft. If anyone wants them, I would donate them to a cause.

Last edit: 2 weeks 6 hours ago by John Barco. Reason: Correction

More
1 week 6 days ago #1940

John are the yokes you have the bowtie type or the rams horn style? If rams horn style I will take them and pay for the postage.
Thanks
Ray

Time to create page: 1.876 seconds