Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Installation of Garmin G5 in the DG/HSI position.

• CARL BAKER
  • CARL BAKER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1655

I am installing a Garmin G5 to replace my King KCS-55 HSI system in my PA28-235. The first issue that I have to address is where to install the GMU-11 magnetometer. The magnetometer for the King system is in the tail section and it has never worked to well because of the autopilot servo that is near it. Garmin recommends installation in the wing. It seems a bit difficult to install in the wind so I would like to get input from those who have already made the installation in a PA28. Where in the wing is it installed? What type of Bracket did you use? Any other information that can be shared would be helpful. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1658

Carl, on my Arrow IV, the shop installed it in the right wing. They removed the right wing tank, and ran wiring for it. It's mounted outboard of the right main gear, away from ferrous metal. Not sure of the bracket they fabricated for mounting it. I can ask Kris, the lead technician of the shop that did my avionics upgrades.

• CARL BAKER
  • CARL BAKER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1702

It would help me a lot if you can take some pictures of the installation. The problem that I am having is that there is only one access port out past the fuel tank and it is for the aileron bell crank, which is steel. Also, the installation manual says that the bracket should be riveted with solid rivets which requires access to both sides of a rib. I would be interested to know if he used cherry ax rivets. Even a detailed description of the installation would be helpful.

Thanks,

Carl

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1728

I am also having a G5 installed in May and it would be helpful to see some pictures of the installation for my Avionics Company. Thanks Fred

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1729

I'd take photos for you guys, but my plane is all done...sorry!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1730

No problem, Enjoy some flying time! Thanks

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds