Topic-icon Water in Cockpit/Fuselage

• Mark Raimo
  • Mark Raimo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #1785

Hello,
I have been taking on water in the fuselage area of my 81 Archer. I believe it may be coming in from where the wing meets the fuselage. I took off the pilot side panel and was able to see that the bottom 2 inches of the noise dampening material was saturated with water. It seems to accumulate on the pilot and copilot side front of the rib and now I am noticing it on both side about two inches up the carpeted panel in the rear seat.

Before I pull everything down anyone have insight as to where it may be coming in from?

Thank you for your input and time.

Mark Raimo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1796

As a guess, it might be coming into the cabin through the openings in the wing to fuselage area--it wouldn't hurt to remove the wing root fairings and, using a strong flashlight see if the are gaps in that area. If it looks like there may be some openings that might be giving access you can attempt to cover them with some strong tape.
Although it sounds from your description as though the was must be coming up from below, it might be leaking into the cabin from the lower aft edges of the windshield. One trial fix for that would be to play a smooth bead of a clear silicone sealer around that lower corner of the windshield.
Sorry I don't have a better answer;
Please let me know what you find.

More
3 months 1 week ago #1807

Most likely it is coming through the air inlet vents on the front of the wings. Before I got a hangar, I noticed water after a high wind blowing rain. Rain without wind was not a problem. I talked to Plane Covers once about fabricating a cover for those inlets but followed through.

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds