Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Carb Heat

• Fred C. Pond
  • Fred C.  Pond's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #2033

I’m a fairly new owner to an Archer II. I am IFR rated and we are moving into a season of more clouds. My previous airplane was fuel injected. How much do you use the carb heat in the PA28-181? Just on landing, or anytime you are IMC? Also any recommended articles on proper use of carb heat? Owners Manuel just has limited info relating to engine roughness. Perhaps that’s the answer??? Thanks for your help
Fred

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #2034

Hi Fred
The Lycoming engines have the intake tubes inserted through the oil sump with the carburetor mounted on the bottom of the sump assembly. I think the carburetor and the lower intake pipes get a little preheat off the warm oil in the sump, and it helps a little to prevent the carb ice from forming. Its still possible to get ice but I would limit carb heat usage to engine roughness like the manual says. (I'd lean the mixture if I did use carb heat, because the carb heat makes the fuel air ratio way too rich, and it might foul the plugs if you don't lean to compensate for it.)

• Fred C. Pond
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #2035

Thank you very much for your reply. I’ve heard talk that Piper’s don’t experience carb icing to the degree Cessna’s do. I appreciate your help on this topic.
Best Regards
Fred

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #2036

You're welcome, that's a cool co-pilot you've got there by the way!

• Fred C. Pond
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #2038

Thanks, she is my best flying buddy!

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds