Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Takeoff Technic for Piper arrow 3 Turbo

More
1 week 3 days ago #2293

My brother has a TA3 and slowly pushes the throttle to ~35in MP on the takeoff roll. As the aircraft accelerates and ram air is pushing in the motor, the MP climbs by itself up to just under 41" just after the landing gear comes up.
Hope this technique helps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #2254

Same with me, absolutely love the Arrow. It's the one getting the upgrade I just wrote about in another thread, so I haven't flown her for a couple months.

• PEDRO JORDAN
  • PEDRO JORDAN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 1 week ago #2253

Hello Robert thanks for the reply. I've also spoken with Piper about this. They informed me that the waste gate valve wont allow over boost. I don't know about you but I HATE any type of annunciation during take off roll. lol

How are you enjoying your Arrow 4. I absolutely love my Arrow 3

More
1 month 1 week ago #2250

Hi Pedro, I've had a Turbo Arrow IV since August, I have the manual wastegate. I'm not the expert on this, but I thought the Merlin prevents over boosting. I think it has to be adjusted for that, and if done correctly the valve should open to avoid over pressuring the engine. My overboost light comes on just below 41", so just because it comes on doesn't mean it is actually over boosted. Either way, I'd get it checked out.

For my manual turbo, I put my index finger on the throttle slot where I know I'll get enough power for the turbo to kick in, and slide the throttle with my thumb to that point. The turbo engages, and its just a tweak on the power to get it right at 40-41"

Hope this helps.....

Bob N777FG

• PEDRO JORDAN
  • PEDRO JORDAN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 1 week ago #2249

Good evening,

New Member , and new owner of a 1977 Piper Arrow 3 Turbo. Looking for technical recommendations on how other owners are managing not over boosting during takeoff. I've had suggestions from short field take, throttle management , to peg it until at 700'. My arrow is equipped with the Merlin waste gate valve and have gotten the over boost annunciations.

Any conversation with this topic will be appreciated. Thank you Pedro Jordan WPB, FL

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds