Topic-icon Help deciphering logbook entries

• Stuart Petke
  • Stuart Petke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 1 day ago #2304

Steve,

Thank you, I appreciate the information and the link.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #2301

Hi Stuart;
After studying your question more closely; I now believe that two 50 hour events DO equal a 100 hour inspection when deriving an answer in the "factored service hours" formula in the NPRM.
Hi Stuart;
The Warrior you bought was on what's called a Progressive inspection program for the first 500 hours of its service life. Piper document 761-497 covers this program.
The Piper Progressive program calls for four inspections; one every 50 hours of operation. At the completion of the fourth inspection, or at 12 months calendar time, which ever comes first the cycle of inspections is complete and it is signed off as an annual inspection.
In my opinion, even though only two 50 hours inspections were done, the airplane has accumulated 100 hours of flight training-style flying. My opinion, based on that conclusion is that two 50 hour inspections do count as one 100 hour inspection in the “factored hours formula” calculations, even though the inspections were not signed off as 100 hour inspections.
Flight training operations are heavily weighted in the “factored service hours” formula in the notice of proposed rule making (NPRM) because flight school operations land their airplanes much more often than the airplanes owned by private flyers.
Operators and owners can put their airplanes on a progressive program by applying to the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) for approval. The Piper publication provides a template for owners that want to pursue this.
The purpose of the progressive is to do a complete inspection in smaller chunks than a normal annual. It's most used by flight schools and commercial operators.

More
1 week 2 days ago #2298

Stuart;
I neglected to tell you that you can learn more about the spar crack issue here:
www.piperflyer.org/maintenance-technical...you-should-know.html .

More
1 week 2 days ago #2297

Hi Stuart;
The Warrior you bought was on what's called a Progressive inspection program for the first 500 hours of its service life. Piper document 761-497 covers this program.
Operators and owners can put their airplanes on a progressive program by applying to the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) for approval. The Piper publication provides a template for owners that want to pursue this.
The purpose of the progressive is to do a complete inspection in smaller chunks than a normal annual. It's most used by flight schools and commercial operators.
I have attached the Piper progressive inspection document.
Please post any additional questions you have.

Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
1 week 3 days ago #2291

Stuart,

Keeping in mind that this is still a proposed AD, by the way, the NPRM stated that 100 hours inspections were counted. This means that if it doesn't explicitly says "100 hours inspection", it doesn't count. Conversely, some mechanics had the habit of signing every annual as a "100 hours annual inspection". This effectively makes the annual count as a 100 hours inspection even if the aircraft did not fly 100 hours in the previous year.

Francis

• Stuart Petke
  • Stuart Petke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 3 days ago #2290

Thank you very much, Francis. One of the reasons I was trying to figure this out was that I was trying to determine where I was on the wing spar inspection formula. If I had 2 inspections in a 100 hour period should I consider that a 100 hour inspection?

Stuart

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds