Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon PA28-140 gauge cluster

• Jerry Woods
  • Jerry Woods's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 6 days ago #2469

Thanks Steve, It sounds like Im going to get my A&P involved with this. Looks like there is no quick fix. Thanks again!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #2460

The first thing I would do would be to install a direct reading pressure gauge on the engine oil pressure fitting. The range of acceptable oil pressure readings in your Lycoming engine (when sampled at the forward end of the oil gallery on the co pilots side of the engine) is 90 psi to 50 psi at cruise and normal operating temperature. Minimum oil pressure at idle is 25 psi.
The typical Piper oil pressure pick off point is at the aft end of the engine on the copilot's side.
If the oil pressure is outside these limits, there's an engine problem.
OR, you can remove the oil pressure gauge connection at the engine and connect it to a regulated pressurized air, say at 75 psi and see where that falls on your OP gauge.
It looks like there's a calibration procedure for the Arrow fuel gauges. I've attached four pages from an Arrow service manual. I'm not sure they're the correct pages for the gauges you bought, but it's worth a look.
Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

• Jerry Woods
  • Jerry Woods's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #2458

The fuel pressure gauge on my recently acquired Cherokee 140 was very, very slow to respond to any changes such as fuel pump shut off and engine stat up. It ran fine but I was a bit uncomfortable with a fuel pressure gauge sitting on zero for what I felt was way too long compared to my prior Cherokee(which would respond immediately) Also, the oil pressure gauge appeared to have scratches on its face like someone had been doing Lord knows what with it.
I purchased a used complete gauge cluster from a salvage yard that was in excellent cosmetic condition. I notice a date stamp which indicated what appeared to be a 1982 manufacture date. So I guess it was from a Warrior. Looked the same from the gauge side. Had it installed and now my fuel pressure works great. However, the fuel quantity gauges are now pretty much useless and they indicate nothing that is even close. The oil pressure reads almost in the yellow. My question is: what else needs to be changed to correct this or am I stuck with it. Are the fuel gauge transmitters different? Since the warrior is 160 HP, I wonder if the oil pressure gauge is calibrated differently? Any incite and advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the old cluster is no longer available.Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds