Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Running new cable through the wing.

More
14 May 2022 21:06 #3512

My Warrior had a three conductor shielded wire which can be used for the 650. One of the wires is for the nav light, two for the strobe. There was a ground strap near the wingtip. For the new installation, you need three wires so why not use the same wiring? You can also use the same circuit breakers. If you do need to run additional wires, pick up a set of the Harbor Freight fiberglass rods. There are two sizes ( one with 1-foot sections and a larger one with slightly longer rods.With luck, you can run the new wire behind the fuel tank, else you will have to remove it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2022 15:39 #3471

Hi Emmanuel;
I ran a length of wire to my wing tip in my Comanche by removing the wingtip and using what Amazon calls a "11' Fiberglass Running Wire Cable Coaxial Electrical Fish Tape Pull Push Kit" to push the wire through lightning holes in the end of the wing spar to lightning holes in the wing ribs.
The wires were routed through lightning holes in the ribs behind the main wing spar, then through the main landing gear wheel wells and on into the cabin.
I protected the wires by using what I call caterpiller grommet on the edges of the ribs and putting an anti abrasive sleeve called Protect-Fast braided expandable wrap around the wires. I bought the sleeveing from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.
It was suggested by some that I solder the end of my new wire to the end of the existing wire and pull it through. I didn't think this would work because the existing wire was one conductor, and that one wire was threaded through rubber grommets. My thought was that I needed to run 2 conductor wire and I didn't think I would be successful pulling it through the existing grommet. However, I have heard that some technicians has been successful with the pull through method, esp is the use two conductor shielded wire--and lubed it well.
What does your mechanic want to do??

• Emmanuel Zokpodo
  • Emmanuel  Zokpodo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 Apr 2022 03:23 #3470

Thank you Steve,
The reason I am wanting to run new cable is that there is only cable from the cockpit going to the wingtip, which is connected to the flasher box. That only cable control the nav light and the strobe light by sending pulse current to the flash box to activate the strobe. Right?
So with Whelen 650, I want to control the nav and strobe lights separately.

More
18 Apr 2022 17:42 #3468

Hi Emmanuel;
Question--why not use the existing wiring?
The most common reason to replace wiring is that the new component draws more current than the one it's replacing.
Both the Whelen Orion 650 LED light and strobe units draw very little load, especially compared to the existing units so the existing wiring should be more than sufficient.
Steve

• Emmanuel Zokpodo
  • Emmanuel  Zokpodo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 Apr 2022 03:29 #3467

Hello guys,
I am looking for an easy way to run new cables throught the wing of arrow ii for my new Whelen 650 nav/strobe light to replace the old incadescent nav/strobe light.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds

Cookies