Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon PA-28-140 engine reliability

More
18 May 2022 14:53 #3520

S-Arvind;
I'm aware of that mod. Seems like a good idea.
However, if the engine has been inactive that increases the possibility of cam/lifter issues.
Where is the airplane located?
Do you have access to the recent flight and maintenance records (dates of flights, dates of oil changes, etc.)
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• S-Arvind
  • S-Arvind's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
17 May 2022 15:57 #3519

Thank you Steve. The Aviation Consumer article refers to a high rate of NTSB accident reports on the PA-28-140 model specifically due to engine failures.
As far as the cam and lifters, the previous owner overhauled the O-320-E3D with the Centri Lube Camshaft ( firewallforwardengines.com/stc/ ).
The claim is that this innovation reduces the risk of camshaft and lifter failure significantly.

More
17 May 2022 15:38 #3517

Hi S-Arvind;
I agree with you; the Lycoming 0-320 E3D is a very simple time-tested engine. It does not have a history of poor performance or dependability.
The O-320 series engines, if flown often and service correctly have been known to generate good dependable performance well past the published TBO.
In my opinion, the only catch when buying an airplane with this engine would be how to determine the condition of the camshaft and hydraulic lifter bodies.
The possibility of cam/lifter related problems is lessened if the airplane has flown regularly and had regular oil changes.
If you have further concerns of questions, please don't hesitate to post them here on the forum.
Steve

• S-Arvind
  • S-Arvind's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
17 May 2022 05:19 #3516

Newbie alert! As a prospective first time owner of an aircraft I was seriously considering the PA-28-140 for its simplicity and ease of maintenance.
However this article seems to be less than flattering, especially when it comes to engine reliability:

www.aviationconsumer.com/uncategorized/piper-cherokee-pa28-140/

I thought the O-320-E3D engines were pretty much as bulletproof as they come. Is there something specific to PA-28-140s that makes the engine so unreliable that it is the leading cause of accidents?
Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds

Cookies