Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon vent blower motor

• Kirk Simpson
  • Kirk Simpson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #1826

Our PA 32r/301 air-conditioning vent blower motor is not working and wondering if anyone has had any experience in having the motor replaced. Our mechanic looked it over and says the motor is going to need to be replace and the motor alone is 1400 dollars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #1827

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationSorry to hear your motor is blown hot weather has arrived and you are lucky to have an airconditioned plane.
I always check the illustrated parts catalog and then google everywhere.
Your interest in finding an affordable part may be greater than your mechanic's who can order a new one up from Aviall, next day ship it and have it installed in 2 hours....next!
However, finding affordable parts is not hard, it just take some computer time.
This type of part is common to other piper models and may have alternate part numbers that you can hunt down.
Here is an example of alternates for the blower motor for your type aircraft ( for SN3246001 thru 3246017) = 475-210

www.ebay.com/i/183383133185?chn=ps

I looked at your airplane's IPC and it calls out 2 part numbers depending on the serial number.

475-210 is cheaper, more available used, and can be overhauled.
761-778 is double the price ($1350 from Aviall), also available used or overhauled.

Check several parts companies and parts search websites to compare prices. Google does not reach into KRN's database well so I have found that a direct search on their website is helpful. Aviall is an official Piper parts distributor.
www.aviall.com/aviallstorefront/p/101738-001=PIEXCH
Notice the Aviall part number does not match the IPC
www.aviall.com/aviallstorefront/p/475-210=PI

www.avspares.com/
www.controller.com/
www.preferredairparts.com/InventorySearch

Lastly, sometimes the manufacturer's part number is also called out in the IPC and can be hunted down that way. In this particular case there is no manufacturer's number in the IPC for the blower motors, but occasionally you can find it in a picture of the part on the internet or look for one directly on the part once it is removed from your airplane.

Happy hunting for good deals.
Air conditioning from Home depot works in the hangar.

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Marc Davidson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kirk Simpson

More
1 month 2 days ago #1844

I presume that your A&P did thorough testing on the vent motor. Mine quit and I noticed that one of the connectors to the motor was had turned brown due to overheating. My IA replaced the Molex connector and also noticed that the the fan had not been wired properly according to the service manual so he corrected the wiring. Mine works fine now.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kirk Simpson

• Kirk Simpson
  • Kirk Simpson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 4 days ago #1862

Thanks for the information. I found a rebuilt motor at Aircraft Accessories of Oklahoma, inc. The new part number is 1482-22-1, and they were great to work with. Received the rebuilt motor in about two days and the mechanic replaced it in a day. It wasn’t the easiest to get to without disassembling the system and removing the evaporator, but some how he did it. The price was half of a new one and works great! It does pay to look around!

Time to create page: 0.636 seconds