Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Airframe Total Time

More
24 Jan 2022 17:25 #3369

I copied the following out of Vref;
Here's the baseline for a Vref evaluation:
"Dual digital Nav/Comm, 2-Axis Autopilot, GS, ADF, DME. Base Price Includes the following: Aircraft is compliant with ADS-B Out, AD's and SB's complied with, No Damage History, complete records and logbooks since new with Mid-Life engines and mid-time maintenance unless otherwise noted. Aircraft Base Price assumes aircraft Paint and Interior Condition are Good unless otherwise noted. Please refer to the FAQ for paint and interior definitions."
Given this equipment and the avg AF time of 5874 hours and 1000 hrs engine TSMOH the baseline evaluation is $115000. Factor in the AFTT and the Engine time gets a valuation of $97875.
Now, this valuation probably does not reflect current asking prices.
I would be very picky with this airplane. I would need a very savvy Piper mechanic to go through the airframe with a fine tooth comb. A "pre-purchase" would not do the trick. I would be willing to pay for a full annual to make sure I wasn't getting stuck with any hidden damage or corrosion problems. I would not give credence to any verbal assurance that it's OK.
Editors here at the Piper Flyer have written articles related to buying an airplane.
www.piperflyer.org/maintenance-technical...ll-it-should-be.html .
www.piperflyer.org/maintenance-technical...you-should-know.html .
This advice is very general; if you have more specific advice, please let me know.
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brandon Lingenfelter
  • Brandon Lingenfelter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
23 Jan 2022 22:32 #3365

Was concerned. Was on the list but certainly not the top. Thanks

More
23 Jan 2022 22:21 #3364

For my money, no friggin way I’d by a PA32 with 14k hours on it. No way. I’d sit on my hands and wait for another one to pop up. That’s a lots of hours on any GA plane regardless of make and model.

• Brandon Lingenfelter
  • Brandon Lingenfelter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
23 Jan 2022 22:12 #3363

Good afternoon,
Looking at Lance and Saratoga models to purchase. Found a very clean and nice 1977 with 14,000 hours. Engine has <1000 SMOH. Is the high airframe time concerning for everyone? Probably a few years in this plane before having to move to something with higher useful load like the Navajo. Thank you in advance.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Cookies