Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Corrosion on my Seneca: Oh No!

• SCOTTSHERER
  • SCOTTSHERER's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #469

I have 1 1977 Seneca 2 with about 3,500 hours. When I first got the airplane I had the wings treated with ACF-50 corrosion inhibitor. This was a really good idea and ten years later my airplane has almost no corrosion. Almost. During this years annual a little bit of pitting corrosion was found under the rudder mount hinges requiring that the spar under those hinges be replaced. The new spar has arrived and that's being done now. My mechanic, Nathan, was poking around in the back seating area under the read seats where the seatbelts are anchored to the airframe. I've attached a picture of what he found. Ultimately, two aluminum plates are being replaced and this area will be rebuilt with all new, corrosion-free aluminum and will be as good as new. However, if we had missed it for a few more years it would have spread and cost a bundle to repair. I've written an article for the Piper Flyer about my experience. In short, don't delay corrosion no matter what it costs. If you delay the cost will only increase by orders of magnitude and the risk of airframe failure will only increase, too. See my upcoming article on this dreaded subject.

Scott Sherer
N344TB

Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by SCOTTSHERER.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #487

Many of us here in Salem put a boat heater in the fuselage to keep it dry in the winter. It uses about 50 watts so electricity cost is not much. I bought mine at West Marine for $90.00. They call it an air dryer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D

• SCOTTSHERER
More
2 years 4 months ago #489

Hi Bob,

Why are the best ideas often the simplest? Thanks so much,

Scott Sherer
N344TB

• SCOTTSHERER
More
2 years 3 months ago #501

As the repair of the corrosion is almost done, I've taken more photos and look forward to PFA publishing an article that I've written about the repair process. In the meantime, here are more photos.

Scott Sherer
N344TB

Attachments:

More
2 years 3 months ago #502

I gave you the idea earlier about heating the cabin to prevent corrosion. Just found this out: If you remove the hatch in the back of the baggage area to allow dry air to circulate through the entire fuselage and go out the tail then the aft portion of the fuselage will also stay dry and corrosion free.

• SCOTTSHERER
More
2 years 3 months ago #503

Bob,

To quote Casablanca, "this is going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Thanks so much, Bob, I appreciate your recommendations immensely.

Best,

Scott Sherer
N344TB

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds