Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Seneca III - 220T Suggested Power Setings

• Mark L
  • Mark L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 months 3 days ago #1403

Hello. First post. I have time in other twins, will be flying Seneca III 220T tomorrow for some general handling, local flight and circuits and then hopefully regularly after that.

I have the POH. When flying a new airplane I like to seek advice from experience flyers of that on the suggested speed and power settings for that. I have studied the POH and other internet searches for this but dont seem to find anything. Airfield elevation is 400ft.

just looking for ball park advice, below are probably incorrect, just examples to show what information I am looking for.

take off roll e.g 34"/max rpm
climb out: eg. 25"/2500
120 knots general for general handling (stalls, simulated engine failure etc): eg 22"/2200 rpm
descrent to circuit 17"/2400
pattern 18/2400
finals 15/2500

thank you very much!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 day ago #1405

Hi and welcome;
The first thing to know about the Seneca III is that it has fixed turbocharger wastegates. Therefore, when increasing power always be careful since there is no automatic wastegate controller. Power up slowly and keep an eye on the MAP guages. Unless you're careful you can over boost the engine very easily.
That's a technical hint for you.
Other readers may have more flying speed tips, etc.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1448

Hi Mark,
I have owned and flown our 1989 Seneca III since new, 3400 hrs. ago, Take-off power is 40"/2800 rpm, cruise climb 33"/2400 rpm, and cruise at 65% power is 31-32"/2400/~12gph/engine, leaned to just under 1600F TIT.
As Steve mentioned, you walk the throttles up to about 35"MP on take-off, and then carefully settle in at 40" with one eye on the center line and one on the MP guage!
Descent planning depends on turbulence, as I like to stay fast, so gently reduce power on the way down. Approaches are usually 22-23"/2400 rpm.
The best advice I can offer is to treat the engines 'with kid gloves' regards power changes. The throttles are notoriously touchy, and power management requires a gentle touch. All in all, we have enjoyed our III these past 30 years, and hope to for many more.
All the best,
David
Seneca C-FJMM

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds