Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Combustion Heater Articles in November Piper Flyer

• SCOTTSHERER
  • SCOTTSHERER's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 9 months ago #315

There are two articles in the November Piper Flyer referencing Combustion Heaters. As both a Seneca and Seminole owner I've had to use combusion heaters for several decades. They've always functioned well even when I've had a glitch or two. The two articles in the Flyer give great insight and new knowledge (at least for me) on these heaters. They are well written and are filled with useful information. They are titled "Combustion Heaters: Are they safe?" by Cara Sandmann on page 24 and "Cabin Combustion Heaters: Maintenance and Troubleshooting" by Tim Gauntt on page 28. Check these out as they're definitely worth fifteen or twenty minutes of your time.

Scott Sherer
N344GB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #779

Hi Scott!
Pat Wilson here (N54UT). Has anyone had any experience with the newer Iconel liners for the Janitrol Heaters?
I'm thinking about rebuilding mine with the upgrade.
Thanks!
Pat.

• SCOTTSHERER
More
1 year 6 months ago #781

Hi Pat,

I haven't, however, I'm heading to the airport on Tuesday or Wednesday to see if my autopilot has come back from repair. I'll check with my mechanic while I'm there. He does lot's of twins...

Back to you soon,

Scott Sherer
N344TB

More
1 year 6 months ago #782

Thanks Scott!
Pat.

• SCOTTSHERER
More
1 year 6 months ago #785

Hi Pat,

Here's a reply from the Piper Flyer resident A&P, Steve Ells:

Scott;
I don’t have personal experience. First question; why does Pat want to rebuild his?? If his failed the pressure DK test he has to overhaul it according to the AD.
The advantage to overhauling with either the C & D improved burner can or the Hartzell Inconel burner can is the elimination of the required 100 hours time in service pressure decay tests. Overhauls by both of these companies remove the 100 hours time in service pressure decay test requirement.
It’s quite a bit less expensive—by about 50 percent—to send his (if it’s rebuildable) to either Harold Haskins Inc ( www.haroldhaskinsinc.com ) or Aircraft Heating ( www.aircraftheating.com ) for an overhaul.
The 100 hours time in service is the rate determining step. If a simple time in service recorder (Hobbs meter) is installed tp track actual heater time in use it is be used to determine the 100 hour inspection interval. If he doesn’t have a Hobbs meter installed he has to do the pressure decay test every 200 hours of AIRCRAFT time in service.
His call.
Steve

Pat, please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.
Best,
Scott Sherer
N344TB

More
1 year 6 months ago #786

Hello Steve and Scott!
My wife and I have basically rebuilt our Seneca much as Scott has and one of the items on the checklist is the heater. It's really more of a want than a NEED. I have always been fearful of that thing blowing up in flight... however remote.

thank you so much for the info Steve!

Scott... i now have the IFD540 connected to my Aspen 1500 and Stec 55 autopilot. VERY VERY NICE ....
I kept my GNS430 in the package just in case I get behind and can't figure out how to do something on the IFD540 I can fall back on the Garmin and press GPS2 on the Aspen! But, so far it's really been pretty intuitive.

All the best to your all!
Pat & Suzanne Wilson (Seneca N54UT) KPRC!

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds