Topic-icon Seneca landing gear slow retraction

• DAVIDMCKENNA
  • DAVIDMCKENNA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 years 11 months ago #130

Gents,
Once again I am experiencing slow retraction. It is 'sporadic', and sometimes requires me to selct gear down and then recycle to get the gear up. I cannot 'isolate' the problem in my hangar, as the gear works like a charm on jacks. There are no fluid leaks, and the level is OK
Any suggestions?
David
Seneca C-FJMM

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #131

Be one with your landing gear, grasshopper!

Hi David,

Here's my guess... I'm going to assume that the electro-hydraulic powerpack is not affected by some factor that only occurs in the air. This might not be valid as cycling the gear in the air with the engines running and power being produced by the alternators is very different than running the gear in the hangar on battery power. I'll continue: If the powerpack operation is sound, I would look at the only other factor I can think of. That is that there is air pressure all over the landing gear in the air at flying speeds that don't occur in the hangar. I would look for mis-aligned, worn or binding landing gear parts.

Best of luck,

Scott Sherer
N344TB

• DAVIDMCKENNA
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 years 9 months ago #433

Finally sorted this out. Turns out the 1800psi 'pressure valve' , located on the lower right hand side of the nose firewall , accessed by removing the complete nose baggage compartment panels, was the culprit! This little valve (cost $900.) wears over time, and ours tested around 1200 psi. It only takes ~600 psi to retract gear on stands in your hangar...which frustrated our efforts to trouble shoot the problem.

More
2 years 9 months ago #434

Let's here it for motivation and tenacity. Congrats on finding the problem!

Stay warm,

Scott Sherer
N344TB

• DAVIDMCKENNA
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 years 9 months ago #439

The 'Pressure Switch' (Piper p/n 587-487) is p/n 211C243-12. I suspect it is the same for Arrows, Seminoles, and possibly the M Models.
David

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds