Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Retrofitting Oxygen in a Seneca III

• Matthew Ranson
  • Matthew Ranson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1784

Hello. I am about to purchase a 1981 Seneca III pending a favorable pre-buy inspection. The aircraft is FIKI equipped with radar. Unfortunately, I live in the west where I typically fly IFR with MEA's over FL 130 and the aircraft is not equipped with oxygen. The aircraft is currently owned by a part 135 service that has owned the aircraft since 1985. I have a close friend that actually flew that plane for almost 25 years so I am very comfortable with the history.
I routinely fly in the mid teens or higher so oxygen is really important. I have three little girls who will accompany my wife and I on many of these trips so a portable system seems very inefficient and costly. I have searched for retrofit oxygen systems and have only seen one example of a B55 pilot who purchased a salvaged system from ASOD in Dallas and somehow got field approval (I hope) to install it in his B55. Does anyone know of a reasonable (and legal) way to retrofit built in oxygen in a Seneca III?
Thank you so much for your input.

Matt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #1798

Your post makes me wonder if this airplane wasn't delivered with a factory installed O2 system, and if so, who took it out.
Is there any evidence a system was ever installed? Bracketry, outlets, tubing?? If the tubing and outlets are installed this problem just got much easier. If there is not evidence of any previous O2 system components, you are probably going to be faced with dealing with a portable system. I have a Precise flight portable system that I strap onto the back of the copilots seat when I want to have O2 along. It's sort of a pain, but it was the only affordable option for me since there never was an installed system in my airplane. I bought the bottle, 4 port regulator, carrying and seat back case, and 4 masks and regulators from a friend for a little over $500. Quick and easy and has served me well.
You can contact the light airplane O2 system suppliers such as Precise Flight and Aerox to see if they have a way to install a system in your Seneca.
Or you can call Kent at Piper Flyer HQ and ask him to call salvage yards to try to find a system in a wrecked Seneca that can be retro fitted to your airplane.

• Matthew Ranson
  • Matthew Ranson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1822

Hi Steve. Thank you for your advice. I do not think the aircraft ever had O2 as it was delivered to SD where it has been since 1981. I have been researching the portable O2 options and believe the Precise flight 4 person O2 is the way to go. I may have to add another 2 person because of 3 little girls that like to fly with me! The long term solution is calling Kent to see what connections he has regarding the retrofit. Thanks again.
Matt

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds