Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon ADS-B In: What are you doing?

• PFA Staff 4
  • PFA Staff 4's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #547

Hi everyone,
Now that I've gotten ADS-B out done (whew), I'm beginning to think about ADS-B in. I already have datalink weather via XM Radio on my Garmin GMX-200 MFD with GDL-69 datalink receiver. Is the expense of ADS-B in just for traffic worth it? What are your thoughts about ADS-B In? What are you doing? Panel or portable?

Thanks for your help,
Scott Sherer
N344TB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #548

I use ForeFlight on an iPad min mounted on the yoke. Portability was important to me because I can flight plan and file before I even get to the aircraft. The traffic info is priceless. I know traffic pattern congestion during arrival rather than having to figure everyone's position after checking in on freq. I get warnings enroute when I'm flying VFR without flight following. Great for situational awareness and inflight planning.

• PFA Staff 4
More
3 years 1 month ago #549

Hi Ken,

Your feedback is most valuable and much appreciated. Can you tell me what your total investment was to get this working? hardware and software? How hard was it to setup and is there any front office congestion with a device on the yoke and more wires. Do you have a photo or two you could upload?

Thanks so much,

Scott Sherer
N344TB

More
3 years 1 month ago #550

-ForeFlight (iPad app) is $80 per year ($150 per year for Pro, which adds georeg approach/taxi plates). It takes the place of my sectionals, instrument charts and plates, shows traffic and weather, and files flight plans (via DUAT).
-Stratus 2 was $800. This provides GPS and ADS-B in for ForeFlight via wifi (i.e., no wires). It also provides data for AHRS (backup attitude indicator with groundspeed and GPS altitude).
-iPad mini was $270
-Yoke mount was $30
-FreeFlight RANGR XVR was $3200. $1500 for installation. This provides ADS-B Out and works seamlessly with my GTX327 transponder. It also has GPS and ADS-B In with a wifi adapter for iPad (i.e., there are NO wires). It works with their ADSB View app. However, they're collaborating with ForeFlight to provide data directly. Then I'll be able to keep Stratus in flight bag for backup.
I'll get a photo next time I go flying.

More
2 years 6 months ago #731

I also use Foreflight with my Stratus 2S. Two iPads and my iPhone 6+ as a backup. And up here at Twin Cities Aviation at KANE we are Appareo dealers and can get all the Stratus gear, and the new EGS transponder/WAAS GPS/ ADS-B all in one. Comes complete with antenna, rack and all wiring. Will also fit directly into the same dimensional slot as your King KT 76A/C. Not the same rack, but the same slot size.
I will be putting one in my 140 as the most economical way to get the total package, and when coupled with my 2S, it will give me ADS-B compliant out and ADS-B in. Looking forward to it. Our team thinks we can get install, equipment and all for 5K or under, in most non composite or fabric GA planes.

• PFA Staff 4
More
2 years 6 months ago #732

Hi Lydell,
Nice things under your tree this year! Great way to end the year!

Keep the blue side up,
Scott Sherer
N344TB

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds