Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Sandia 340 Quattro

• Brenton Haskell
  • Brenton Haskell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
2 years 4 months ago #945

I'm thinking of replacing the old artificial horizon in my 1978 turbo arrow III with a new SAI 340 Quattro electronic AI. Has anyone had any experience with this device or it's installation?
Love to hear some feedback before I blow several (!) thousand dollars out the window!

Brent
N113VK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #949

Hi Brent;
I took a look at the SIA 340 Quattro and believe it's marketed as a standby replacement instrument. There is a FAA advisory circular (AC91.75) that addresses this swap but it seems to exclude such as yours and mine that are certified under CAR 3, an older regulation.
I would check with your A & P or avionics shop to see how they interpret the installation manual ( www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/11-12817install.pdf ) to get the full story before you spend the big bucks.
You can find some feedback here: www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/sai340-11-12817.php .
Looks like a good idea to me.

• Brenton Haskell
  • Brenton Haskell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
2 years 4 months ago #950

Steve,
Thanks for the info. Yes, I will check with the shop. According to Sandia it can be used as a primary if it goes into the same hole in the panel as the old AHI, has a backup battery and one other thing I forget. It then, according to them, is a minor modification and does not need a 337. I'll do some more checking and let you know. Thanks for the reply.
Brent

More
2 years 4 months ago #954

Brent;
Further research has turned up an FAA Policy Statement that supports Sandia's position that installation in place of an existing vacuum powered AI is a minor alteration only requiring a log book entry.
The Policy Statement number is: PS-ACE-23-08.
You should be able to find it using your favorite search engine.
Steve

More
2 years 4 months ago #955

Hi Brent;
Before you put in your order you should check out the Dynon EFIS-D10A here: www.dynonavionics.com/docs/EFIS_intro.html .
Dynon is very well known in the kitplane world and according to it's website the D-10A is approved for installation in certified airplanes.
S

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds