Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Which document should be part of the aircraft POH?

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #2443

As I understand it, the FMS is required to be in the airplane and available during flight. A friend didn't want to have a big binder chocked full of 8.5 x 11 pages so he took the FMS docs to Staples, or other office supply store and ran the docs through a copier that "shrank" the pages down to 6 x 9 inches.
He still was complying with the mandate to carry them, and they were still available during flight, but they didn't take up as much space.
If you have an old Jepp instrument approach plate binder, that's the perfect size.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• William Rose
  • William Rose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #2441

When I had my ADS-B installation done, I decided to remove and add several new pieces of avionics. All of them came with a Pilot Guide as well as Flight Manual Supplement (FMS). It appears the latter of these must be in the aircraft but the content of the FMS wouldn't help anyone operating the equipment? What are the rules for digital access v hard copy. When I bought the plane, I got two copies of the POH in a binder that also included the "instructions" for other equipment. There were no FMSs.

With the complexity of new avionics, the documentation has also swelled. As an example, the Pilot Guide (which implies an overview of functionality) for my Garmin GNX 375 is 244 pages long - not the kind of thing you (easily) make copies for multiple manuals. The FSM is just 47 pages long. Even the G5 documentation is 92 pages for the Pilot Guid and 24 pages for the FMS. It's reaching the point where the documentation needs to be calculated in the weight and balance.

What are all you out there carrying in your baggage compartment to comply?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds