× For Sale/Wanted

Topic-icon Looking to buy another Dakota

• MARY MCMAHON
  • MARY MCMAHON's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1813

I am looking to buy a well equipped (ADSB, AP, good GPS) and we’ll maintained Dakota, preferably with 3 blade prop. I’m looking for advise on what to look out for. I typically look for complete logs, no damage history, hangar kept, flown in the last 6 months. I found a potential candidate in Florida. How do I determine if corrosion risk is too high from coastal areas? What model years, AD issues should concern me? Also, it’s been a while since I purchased. What price range should I consider for such an aircraft.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1818

Hi Mary;
The simple answer is to insist that your candidate airplane be given a thorough annual inspection by an experienced Dakota maintenance facilty of mechanic. That's the only way you will know exactly what your getting yourself into.
Since it sounds like you're looking at a "good" airplane, the seller may be willing to pay half the cost of the initial inspection in order to prove to you that it is as he represents it.
The ideal situation is if you can get the seller to agree to fix any obvious airworthy items discovered during the annual or discount the price because of these squawks.
The details of working out compensation/fixing the less obvious not quite airworthy items is something the buyer and seller work out
The following is a link to an article in the Piper Flyer archives: www.piperflyer.org/maintenance-technical...ll-it-should-be.html .
This article provides a lot of detail about pre purchase inspections.
A rough idea of the value can be obtained by typing "Piper Dakota for sale" into the search box of your favorite search engine. A number of different sites will pop up. Cruise through the offerings and chart the range of prices.
Of if you're and AOPA member, go to the AOPA website and type "Vref" into the site search box.
Vref is a well known aircraft valuation business that will help you get an idea of prices, and will let you add variations such as the 3 bladed prop and ADS-B equipment to fine tune the valuation.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds