Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

× For Sale/Wanted

Topic-icon Looking for a Shimmy Dampener

More
1 week 5 days ago #2285

Hi Glenn;
I followed up with Parker Hannifan, they now make the Lord elastomeric shimmy dampners. The spokesman told me that there were no plans to expand the product line right now. Seems like you might be able to get some kind of local approval (probably not right now due to the virus situation) to install one of the ones that is approved for many other Piper single engine airplanes.
The Lord dampner that is approved replaces the Piper 456-015, which is installed on many PA 28s but not on your -236.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #2278

Hi Glen;
There seems to be some confusion out there in the web about this part number (456-017) because when it's typed into a search engine, shimmy dampener repair kits are shown but more responses.
One company lists a new assembly for $3500.
Lord Corporation manufacturers and sells a fluid less shimmy dampener. Cost is around $1000. But for some reason, the PA 28-236 is not listed in the STC. This seems strange to me since the Lord Dampener is approved for virtually every Cessna piston powered single and twin. This tells me it has the "power' to work on your airplane.
I am contacting Lord to see if it will add the PA 28-236 to the Approved Model List (AML) for the STC.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #2277

Do you need one because it is missing or hopelessly damaged or do you just have a problem with it not being effective? If the later, there is a repair kit available. www.knots2u.net/piper-shimmy-dampener-repair-kit/

• Glenn Raby
  • Glenn Raby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 9 hours ago #2276

I am looking for a Shimmy Dampener for a 1980 Pa 28-236 Dakota.
Part number 456 017 or any satisfactory replacement.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds