Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon PA-34-200 T 1979 Seneca II Trubo

• Kent
  • Kent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 months 1 week ago #1087

Question for our Piper members. Turbo-Plus has a STC to put 220hp engines on the Seneca II.
This STC indicates a GW increase to 4750lb from 4570lbs. A conversation was had with turbo-plus systems to verify that we had not read the STC wrong. The current price is $3500 slated to go up to $4500 in 2018, but he would sell it for $2000.00 if we do it this month (just buy the STC; no limit on when engines are installed). $2K doesn't sound unreasonable, but of course its only paperwork. We thought we would at least pass it by the Piper forum to see if it is a good deal or not. I have included the STC paperwork for review. Does anyone have experience with this mod?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 days ago #1091

Hi, I have no experience with what happens when you upgrade to the 220 HP engines. As I read the Turbo Plus webpage it seems to indicate the STC requires the installation of a Continental KB fuel system and an intercooler system. It looks like the TurboPlus intercooler system costs an additional $12,690. I don't think that price includes installation.

I understand that the STC does up the MTOW by 170 pounds; if that's the goal of buying the STC I recommend you find out how much the intercooler installation and cowling mods weigh to determine your true gain in EW.

I don't know if you've taken a look at the Merlyn Products Black Magic automatic wastegate controller yet but what it does for the CHTs and altitude performance is almost magic. Replacing the fixed wastegate system on your engines with the Black Magic system will lower your CHTS and provide sea level MAPs up into the mid teens.
It won't get you more useful load but it's will definitely be better for your engine than the stock system.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kent

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1094

Thank you Kent, i was thinking to do the same upgrade on seneca-ll.
i went to Turboplus website but didnt see the $2,000. offer. is it still available?

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds