Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-iconLanding gear won't retract

• William Spangler
  • William Spangler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 years 3 months ago #960

Landing gear would not retract even though airspeed was 100 MPH. Tried the override and nothing worked. Any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• William Spangler
  • William Spangler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 years 3 months ago #964

Sorry I should have added this is in a PA-28R-200B. It is a 1971 Arrow.

More
3 years 3 months ago #971

Hi William;
Sorry it's taken so long.
Have you found someone to solve this problem.
I suggest the following:
a) there are two and sometimes three switches in the landing gear solenoid control circuit. The all have be working properly to retract the landing gear. The switches are the squat switch, the pressure switch and the low pressure (low airspeed) switch is the Back up Emergency Landing Gear extender system is still functional.
The landing gear won't retract unless the Squat switch closes. The squat switch is located on the left main gear. It prevents power from closing the landing gear solenoid until the landing gear leg is fully extended. It may need cleaning or adjusting.
If your Back up Emergency Landing Gear extender is still installed and operative there's a slow speed switch in it that is in-line with the squat switch; either could prevent the gear from coming up if inoperative. The system pressure switch, located on the gear up manifold if stuck open it will also prevent power from getting to the motor control solenoid.
If your emergency LG extender has been removed in accordance with section I of Piper Service bulletin SB866A that switch isn't in the solenoid control wiring.
There's also the possibility that a serious leak has developed in one or more of the landing gear retraction/extension cylinders. This would prevent the system from building enough pressure to retract the gear.
One indication of a cylinder leakage is the motor cycling periodically while in flight.
I suggest putting your airplane on jacks and selecting gear up and putting the gear handle up. Does the motor run?? If not check the switches mentioned above. If the motor runs you you'll need to put some pressure gauges on the motor/reservoir to determine what the output fluid pressure is. There should be no problem making at least 1500 psi.
If you need the pages from the service manual to work your way through trouble shooting and repair procedures let me know.
You should try to download the PA-28r Service manual if you don't have one. It's essential.
If you find your powerpack/reservoir can't be repaired try www.powerpacksplus.com .

More
5 months 1 week ago #1790

My PA28 will retract but on gear down, it just simply drops and locks without the motor running at all. The emergency extend lever appears to be not connected to anything and simply moves with no resistance. If I lost electrical power, would the gear drop at that time uncommanded? The hydraulic motor did run up until my last flight.

More
5 months 1 week ago #1792

Hi, Yes your gear will go down and lock and be safe if all the adjustments are correct.
I sounds like the "free fall" valve is not closing, therefore when you select gear down it free falls into position.
That and the fact the emergency handle feels like it's not connected to anything, confirms that the handle is not connected to the valve.
You and your mechanic will have to find out why the emergency handle to free fall valve has failed.
Let me know what you find.
Steve

More
5 months 1 week ago #1794

Hi Steve, thank you for responding. Where is the "free fall" valve located? I can hear a thumping sound located very near and below the console when I move the now loose emergency handle up and down. Would the console have to be removed? So the hydraulic motor never has a chance to come on after selecting gear down- it just free falls? I am seeing my mechanic tomorrow and this is vital information to relay.

Time to create page: 0.341 seconds