Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Carbon Monoxide in Cabin

• CHARLESDICK
  • CHARLESDICK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 year 6 days ago #1017

I have a PA-32-300. IO-540. I started getting very high levels of CO in the cabin. Takeoff 50-70 ppm. Cruise can range from 9 ppm when very lean, 18-25 ppm rich of peak. Exhaust system has been pressure tested. A few small leaks in the head gasket, but AP says not unusual for engine at TBO. Heat exchanger is new. CO detector measuring air out of heater vents reads next to nothing. Greatest level is near fuel selector. Wing root seals intact.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 days ago #1018

I've seen this before. My wife owned a Cessna 182RG and although the exhaust heat exchanger(s) were leak free there was so much CO getting into the cabin that the colored dot detectors would turn dark within 30 or 40 minutes after takeoff.
We finally discovered it was exhaust gasses from the exhaust pipe there were getting into the cabin through the air conditioning condenser vents on the side of the fuselage aft of the left main gear. Since we didn't have a clue where it was coming from we were forced to plug off each possible entry point one by one until we found the entry point for the CO gas. We ended up blanking off the condenser vents.
I wish I had a better answer.
Even a small amount will register and since you're seeing high concentrations down near the fuel selector I'd take a hard look at the firewall seals.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds