Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon A Quick Oil Question

• KnightLL2
  • KnightLL2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1280

I know allot about the subject, but I just want to know the gurus thoughts on changing oil brands in a higher time engine. Currently 20W50 XC. I would like to go to an aeroshell product. Are there mitigating circumstances that would prevent this? Should it be done as a weaning process? And the inclusion of camguard is a real biggie for me. I have sold my 140 and picked up very nice 28R-180 that has a higher time engine, but average oil usage and +70’s compression so I want to get it right. I would prefer a Aeroshell W100 with W80 cooler temp wise. I had really good luck with 15W50 Aeroshell in my O320, but again, I would like opinions for changes with the IO-360. Thank much.

Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by KnightLL2.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1281

I own an Arrow 200. I use Phillips xc 20/50 in winter and Aeroshell 100 in summer. always with camguard since I can't fly as often as I'd like to.
All I can say is, this cocktail works really good for me. Camguard definitely reduced vibration and oil consumption.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1285

All modern oils are compatible; that means that there won't be any problems lubrication-wise. But you will experience differences in items such as consumption, usage, and temperatures. Not significant differences but you'll see them.
I have never heard of any need to wean an engine off one oil and onto a different oil.
I use Phillips 20-50 XC with Camguard in my 180 hp Comanche and am very happy with the results. In the past Aeroshell was almost the only oil flyers on the West Coast could get. Today I buy Phillips by the case and always carry a couple of quarts because it isn't always available. Aeroshell is almost always available anywhere in the country. I know lots of pilots that use Aeroshell and no one has reported any problems.
If that engine is in good shape keep clean oil in it, avoid long periods of inactivity and enjoy.

• KnightLL2
  • KnightLL2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1288

I always hope to hear from you when I have a question Steve. As a A&P myself, your opinion is valued. I’m going to stick with the XC. Use Camguard, and monitor useage. It is about 1 per 9-10 hours now. Compressions 70-72/80 on all 4. 25 hour change and 50 on the filter. I’ll keep it clean. Maybe I’ll see you at the Cherokee rally. Again. Thanks.

More
3 months 1 week ago #1289

If your consumption it a quart every 9 to 10 hours, that's very good. Generally, these engines motor along just fine with regular maintenance and regular usage. It's when we see a rapid change in oil consumption, fuel usage or smoothness that we need to dive into the diagnostics.

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds