Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon No main alternator breaker?

• John Orr
  • John Orr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
4 months 1 day ago #1418

In troubleshooting an electrical problem in my Warrior (PA28-151) I realized that there is no main 60 A circuit breaker on the alternator output. The maintenance manual wiring diagram confirms this. I have a Plane Power alternator and the installation instructions say that if there is no circuit breaker or other current limiter, one must be installed. Can anyone comment on why Piper felt that a circuit breaker was not necessary?
Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1435

Hi, I'm sorry it's taken a while to answer this. I distinctly remember typing out an answer to this question.
There's no way Piper sent your out the door without an alternator circuit breaker. All electrical circuits, especially ones capable of handling 60 amps, are required by regulation to have circuit protection.
In all the manuals I have for the PA 28 series airplanes, there's a 60 amp circuit breaker. I suggest you look at the circuit breaker panel; one of my Owner's Manuals shows the alternator circuit breaker adjacent to the alternator field circuit breaker in the main breaker panel.

• John Orr
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1437

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you but Piper has hidden the breaker very well if it exists on my PA28-151. And I have studied the wiring diagram from the maintenance manual. No breaker is shown. I would paste the diagram here if I could. It's on page 2H24 of the PA28 151/161 manual.
John

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1474

John, I recently purchased a 1981 Piper Dakota and it has an alternator field circuit breaker on the breaker panel but there is no 60 AMP Alternator breaker anywhere. The wiring diagram, clearly
shows one so we assumed it was removed by a previous owner. I had a 60 AMP breaker installed.

Charlie

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1475

Hi Charlie;
What a puzzle. Why would anyone replace the alt CB? Glad you did what needed to be done.

• John Orr
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1479

I would be happy for someone to prove me wrong, but the wiring diagram for my PA28-151 clearly shows that there is no main breaker for the alternator output. It is strange. The wiring diagram is on page 2H24 of the PA28 151/161 maintenance manual.
John

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds