Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Cherokee 6 Fuel Pump Issues

• DAVE WEST
  • DAVE WEST's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
6 days 5 hours ago #1419

I have a 1967 Pa32-300. About a month ago after engine start we turned off the electric fuel pump and the engine quit. Turned the boost pump back on and the engine started again. Switched fuel tanks and turned the boost pump off and the engine started to quit again. Quickly turned the boost pump back on and the engine started running fine again. Had mechanic check it out and he said mechanical fuel pump failed so we bought an overhauled Hartzel fuel pump and had it installed. After the new pump was installed the airplane was flown about 8 hours total on several different flight with no issues.

Last week when returning home from a trip we stopped to get fuel and after starting the engine I switched off the boost pump and same thing that happened a month ago happened, the engine quit. Went through the same troubleshooting and got the same results. Problem this time is we weren't at our home airport and there was no full time mechanic around so we had to get a commercial flight home and leave the plane stranded where it was 300 miles from home.

We were finally able to get a mechanic to look at it and he says its the mechanical pump that failed again. I sent the new pump with only 8 hours flying time on it back to Hartzell for warranty repair/replacement and they are telling me there is nothing wrong with the pump. This IA mechanic is telling me it can't be anything but the mechanical pump.

Any suggestions??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 days 18 hours ago #1420

Did your mechanic ever send the pump out to get tested or did he just replace it? I had this issue in my Saratoga at it was the fuel servo. The PA32 servo has high and low mode that changes over at 1000 RPMs... my engine would run fine at 1000 RPM or above without the pump on but would quit below 1000 RPMs if the pump wasn't turned on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds