Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Dakota Shimmy Dampener rebuild info?

• Greg Kainz
  • Greg Kainz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1472

Our 1979 Dakota shimmy dampener is shot.
Shimmy Dampener - Gar-Kenyon part # 95260-1. Piper part # PS50152-4.
Internal rings - Glyd Ring part # S12546-012

From our search efforts, it appears that the rings needed to complete a rebuild are unavailable or at least don't show up in online searches.
Anyone have any success at finding these rings?

In retracing a previous path from about 4 years ago, ended up talking to the same guy at Gar Kenyon that helped us last time. They are now in Meriden, CT. He remembered that call, and repeated info about a company, Shamban & Co. in Ft Wayne that is listed as a source for the glyd rings we need. I’m pretty sure their previous answer was a minimum order of thousands because they aren’t made anymore. Perhaps this search will end differently. Waiting to hear back from this call.

Anyone else been down this path?
Thanks!
Greg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1476

Hi Greg; I've rebuilt a number of shimmy dampeners over the decades and I was always able to find a generic aircraft quality O ring that would do the job.
If you measure the O-Ring for inside diameter (ID) and thickness (in thousands of an inch) you should be able to find an O-Ring to do the job. The mil spec part number for O-rings that work with Mil H 5606 hydraulic fluid in static and dynamic applications is MS28775. The O-rings that are for dynamic applications are 0.103 inches thick and start with MS28775-110, which has a 0.362 ID.
the dynamic style ring part numbers continue to MS28775-116 which has an ID of 0.737 inches.
Then the part numbers jump to MS28775-210. This series of O-Rings has a 0.139 thickness. The -210 O-Ring is 0.734 ID (47/64 of an inch). The -211 is 0.796 ID or 51/64 inches. The -200 series part numbers increase in like steps to -247 which has a 4.609 ID.
There should be an O-Ring in this selection that will fit your application.
These O-Rings are available from aircraft supply houses such as Aircraft Spruce and others.
I've attached two pages of the Genuine Aircraft Hardware handbook ( www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com ) that apply to these O-Rings.
The second option is to replace your original shimmy dampener with a Lord no-service shimmy dampener. According to Lord these never need servicing and have been adopted by some airframe manufacturers for installation on new airplanes. However, they are expensive, with prices ranging from around $850 up through $2100. They are also available at Aircraft Spruce and Specialty ( www.aircraftspruce.com )

Attachments:

• Greg Kainz
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1477

Thanks for the response and the great info, Steve! Much appreciated!
I wonder if you've run into the Gar-Kenyon dampner specifically on the Dakotas? And maybe just a few years of the Dakotas?
Our o-rings are much smaller (28775-13) than the ones you've listed, and no mention of Glyd Rings, which are peculiar to our damper.
Greg

Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Greg Kainz. Reason: more info

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1480

Hi Greg;
Sorry for the mis understanding.
Here is one source for GLYD rings:https://www.marcorubber.com/glide-ring-cap-seal.htm.
Gar Kenyon also advertises overhaul and repair services: garkenyon.com/services/repair-overhaul/ .
The website says the turn around is fast and that the item is returned with a 8130 (airworthy) tag.
Please let me know what you decide.
Steve

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1481

Greg, You can find a catalog for GLYD rings here:https://tss-static.com/remotemedia/media/globalformastercontent/downloadsautomaticlycreatedbyscript/catalogs/zurcon_glyd_ring_p_gb_en.pdf.
Once you have your GLYD seal measured, you may be able to cross reference it to a number in this catalog and then order the seal by the part number in the catalog.
I called Gar Kenyon for cost of a rebuild at their facility and was told that they hadn't done one for quite a while and that the estimate was $250-350.

• Greg Kainz
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 3 hours ago #1498

Thanks, Steve. We have the GLYD seals ordered and hopefully on their way!
Greg

Time to create page: 0.710 seconds