Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Stall Warning will not work in flight.

• Ron Ellard
  • Ron Ellard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1654

I have just procured a 1976 PA-28-181 Archer II. The ground check for the stall warning horn works fine, as per the POH. However, in flight I cannot get the horn to work, regardless of what Angle of Attack, and airspeed that I put the aircraft in. I have searched high and low for an answer to this issue. Anybody have any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #1691

I suggest you remove the plate that the lift detector is screwed onto, and see if you can loosen the screws holding the detector in position. Once the screws are loosened, I believe you'll be able to move the detector in the plate. Re-position the detector and fly. If this is mounted in the way I think it is, you'll be able to re position the detector so it the "impending stall" light will come on a few knots before the actual stall.
Let me know what you find.

• Ron Ellard
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #1716

Steve

Thanks for the reply. I have done as you have suggested and have flown the aircraft with the angle of attack tab adjusted from one limit of adjustment to the other limit. I have only been able to get a little beep out of the stall warning system at extreme pitch angles in deep stall. Would you happen to know if a person can bend or change the angle on the tab itself? I suspect that the tab may have been bent in some previous life.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #1717

Hi Ron;
I expect we might be able to get that information from Safe Flight; I believe that's the company that produced the stall vane switches but I suggest you find another cherokee on your local field and take a look at the stall vane angle on it.
I am going to the airport in an hour and will take some photos of the ones here and post the pictures later today.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #1720

Hi Ron, I took pictures of the stall vanes on two different PA 28s.
The tab is not bent at a 90 degree angle.
And both tabs moved upward very easily.
See attached photos

Attachments:

• Ron Ellard
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 6 days ago #1722

As per my quick message here is the photo of my unit.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.980 seconds