Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Stall Warning will not work in flight.

• Ron Ellard
  • Ron Ellard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 6 days ago #1723

Sorry for the triple photo of the same thing!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #1724

Looks OK to me. I spoke with Safe Flight in New York, the manufacturer of almost all the stall vane switches in GA airplanes.
The technical guru there suggested that you check--with an ohmmeter--to make sure the switch is making continuous contact once it closes.
If it is not, then the only solution is to send it to Safe Flight Instrument Corporation ( www.safeflight.com ) where they will remove it from service, and send you a new one at its overhauled price.
Or, you can beg, borrow or somehow lay your hands on one from another Cherokee and install it in place of yours. Then fly and see if it works.
If it does, you need to find a new or serviceable used switch.
The only other possible cause could be a looseish wire on the switch or stall horn or a bad crimp on one of the wire terminals that does not fully contact the switch or horn during flight due to vibration but works well on the ground.

More
1 week 4 days ago #1726

Ron, Another option that I neglected to mention is cleaning your vane by putting it in a ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes; that will usually do a good job of cleaning with any damage; or buying a used serviceable one from a salvage yard. There must be thousands out there since Safe Flight supplied both Cessna and Piper singles for years.
Please let me (us) know what you did to fix this problem.

• Ron Ellard
  • Ron Ellard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 1 day ago #1734

Great News! I removed the stall vane mechanism and gave it a good spray with contact cleaner. Went for a flight and the system worked as advertised. I am learning that previous operators may not have tested this system in flight. It's a good idea to practice a couple of stall maneuvers for currency and to make sure the warning system actually works! Thanks for your direction on this problem.

R

More
1 week 14 hours ago #1736

Fantastic, happy stalling!!

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 days 14 hours ago #1737

Good one Steve. :)