Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Starter Solenoid locks up after hard landing

More
1 month 3 days ago #1910

I just replaced one on my Piper Warrior that started giving problems after 6 months. So far Hartzell has stood behind every unit we have had to replace as long as it was within their warranty period.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Steve Jordan
  • Steve Jordan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 3 days ago #1911

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my post. I contacted Hartzell (HET) and they have volunteered to provide a replacement starter indicating that the problem was a manufacturing defect that they inherited from their purchase of this line of starters. They indicate that the problem has been rectified in the current production starters. I am grateful to the FBO owner who posted and alerted me to this endemic problem with these starters. I had my mechanic clean and reassemble the starter and reinstall it. Apparently, the problem would have re-surfaced. With the starter properly assembled and the new copper power cables installed, the starter runs like a scalded dog. I believe that HET is responding to this issue in an honorable manner.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #1918

I just spoke with Tim Gauntt at Hartzell. When Hartzell took over the Skytec line it changed the way the two bolts are secured and increased the torque. Gauntt explained that if there are lock tabs (washers under the head of the bolt that have a tab that is bent over a flat on the bolt head) the starter has NOT had the Hartzell fix.
And Gauntt said that Hartzell is still honoring warranty issues with the starters that were sold by Skytec. For more information or to file a warranty claim go to the Hartzell website ( www.hartzell.aero ) and send an email (and picture if you have one) to the tech support email address.
Gauntt said the chances are good you will get a new starter.

Time to create page: 0.362 seconds