Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Fuel Tank Leak

• SCOTT MALLARD
  • SCOTT MALLARD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #1891

I haven't been able to find anything as yet on this problem. The right fuel tank in my PA-28-180 has been leaking/seeping for a while. I finally decided to look into it and do SB 1006 concurrently. I found that the leak was originating at the outlet flange on the inboard side of the tank that connects to the flex fuel line. I pulled the tank and set it on a table with the flange down. I put in 15 gallons of 100LL, let it sit over two days and found that the seepage was coming from around the rivets that secure the flange to the tank. There are no other leaks. Now...my problem is this: I would like to find a shop where they would repair/replace only the outlet flange. The tank does not need to be de-skinned. Except for the flange the tank is in pristine condition.
Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #1896

Hi Scott;
I did find a listing for the outlet flange in the parts book. The part number is 63954-00. But I did not see any companies advertising that they had a new part with that part number.
I believe you have two options. You can buy a pint of PR 1005-LBunaN sloshing sealer and use per the instructions to attempt to seal the leaky rivet by "sloshing" this sealer on the inside of the tank. Aircraft Spruce and Specialty ( www.aircraftspruce.com ) sells the PR 1005 for $105 for a pint and $211 for a quart.
Or you can send your tank to Hartwig at www.hartwigfuelcell.com . Hartwig advertises that it can completely rebuild and reseal your tank. You'll have to call (800 843-8033) to see if they will reseal the outlet flange only.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds