Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-iconAirspeed Indicator "Leak"/EDM830

• Robert Marks
  • Robert Marks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1924

I have an issue on my Piper Arrow IV with the airspeed indicator, after a pitot/static cert, and also my 830.

Plane goes in for the cert, fails, after some work it passes for VFR but not IFR. I was told there was a leak off the airspeed indicator "T" connection.

I've noticed the ASI is very sluggish coming off the peg and if I fly my usual indicated approach speed I float halfway down the runway. Also if I pitch for Vy, I only climb at about 200-300 fpm, even lightly loaded. So there is an issue. Is it related to this "leak'?

Also, once I got the plane back from the cert, the 830 lost all MP indications, just red XXXs. Any correlation? Thanks for any ideas, someday I'll be less needy.

Bob Marks
N777FG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1932

Hi Bob;
Yes, I believe you have a leak in your A/S pressure line. It seems as though that would account for your sluggish and inaccurate A/S indications and would also explain your "hot" landings and sluggish climb rates.
At sea level your Arrow should achieve climb rates of nearly 900 ft/min when fully loaded.
The first thing I would do would be to disconnect the pitot tube connection at the airspeed meter and blow back through it to clear it. It may be that your problem is due to a clogged line.
I didn't know that there is a VFR pitot static cert and an IFR pitot static system cert.
I suspect that when the shop did some work behind the panel, it accidentally disconnected or dislodged the electrical wire to your 830 from the manifold sensor in the MP line. It's often hard to work behind panels since everything is so tightly packed in there.
Get the shop to back blow the pitot line from your A/S meter, and check to see if the wire from the manifold pressure sensor to the 830 is connected--if it isn't, re connect it.

Let me know how these actions change things.
S

• Robert Marks
  • Robert Marks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1933

Thanks Steve, I'll let you know if it works......

Bob

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds