Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Removal of the Main Landing Gear Trunnion

• Mark Jennings
  • Mark  Jennings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1929

Greetings, I am the proud owner of a PA 28R 180 and an A&P. During an attempt to remove the left hand MLG assembly from my aircraft I came across a problem. The maintenance manual states to remove the bolt the secures the "sleeve" in the aft trunnion which is accessed through the lower skin access panel aft of the MLG. After removal of the bolt, one can pull the sleeve out with a pick and the gear assembly can be lowered from the forward and aft support brackets. The "sleeve" will not budge. It appears seized. I also tried using a slide hammer to no avail. Any insight would be appreciated. Regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1931

Hi, I've taken a look at the manual and see what you're talking about.
What I can't see in the manual is: does the sleeve or retainer tube assembly as the MX manual calls it, extend into the spar web?? If not, do you think you can remove the aft trunnion? The parts book shows it bolted in.
If you can get the gear leg out that way, then you can soak the sleeve and leg in a penetrating oil such as KROIL for a day to two/and apply heat to break the sleeve free.
Give that a try and let me know how you did.

• Mark Jennings
  • Mark  Jennings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 5 days ago #1952

An update on the removal of the retainer tube: I was able to remove the retainer tube with a Blind Hole Bearing Puller. Without this tool, it would still be seized in the aft trunnion. Working through the lower wing panel proved challenging finagling with the puller, but 2 hours of perseverance paid off.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds