Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-iconPiper kit 763 801

• Anthony Gwinn
  • Anthony Gwinn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #1989

Hello. I just got a Piper Navajo that we’re going to use for skydiving operations. According to th poh the max take off weight is 6500 and max landing weight is 6200 unless you have Piper kit 763 801 installed then your max landing weight is 6500. I’m still going through the logbooks but so far I don’t see any mention of this kit. I can’t seem to find any information about this kit on the internet. I’m hoping someone here can tell me where I can find out more about what the kit entails and if there’s an easy way to tell if it’s on my plane.

Thanks for any info!

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #1991

Hi Anthony;
I've reached out to get you an answer. I'll let you know what I find,

Steve

• Anthony Gwinn
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #1996

Thanks Steve!

• Anthony Gwinn
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 22 hours ago #1999

I talked to Piper. They didn’t have any information on the kit. They said the only place I might be able to get it is through Aviall. The lady I spoke to at Aviall said the kit is discontinued but there was a note that said the parts that make up the kit may still be available. She said she’d try to figure out what parts are in the kit and let me know but I haven’t heard back from her yet.

More
3 weeks 9 hours ago #2001

I talked to a Piper Navajo guru and was told that this kit consisted of the normal O-Rings as listed in the Navajo landing gear parts manual, and a part called a "plate-orifice." The part number of the plate is 40214-02. Two are needed. I believe that this plate is installed to restrict the flow of fluid past the metering pin in the landing gear leg, thereby slowing the amount the gear piston moves up into the gear leg housing. I think that without this smaller orifice, the early Navajos couldn't pass the landing gear drop certification test without the gear piston bottoming out in the housing. The kit only applies to Navajos with the following serial numbers: 1 thru 659; and 661 thru 711. Reading between the lines, your landing gear assemblies are strong enough for the 6500 weight, but operating at that MTOW is illegal unless the kit is installed.

• Anthony Gwinn
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 weeks 5 hours ago #2002

Thanks Steve! Exactly what I needed to know!

Time to create page: 0.967 seconds