Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-iconOil Quick Drain for Arrow

• Robert Marks
  • Robert Marks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #2007

So, after my first owner assist annual, I wanted to get a quick drain for my Arrow. I was aware that caution needed to be taken as the nose gear on retraction could activate the quick drain, turning me quickly into a glider pilot. The installed plug is a Saf Air F62, and the recommended associated quick drains (Saf Air F50-180, F50-90) were too long to fit over the plug due to the nose gear assembly.

Any ideas? I need either a REALLY shallow plug, or a flatter quick drain. Here is a photo, if needed.

Bob Marks
N777FG

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 hours ago #2010

Hi Robert;
What's wrong with your F62? If you want a new F62, Aircraft Spruce ( www.aircraftspruce.com ) sells them for $117.
According to the Safe Air web site, the F62 can be refurbished by installing a MS28775-109 Viton o-ring and re-installed with a MS35769-21 crush washer.

• Robert Marks
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 3 hours ago #2012

Nothing is wrong with it, I just can't find the quick release that fits on to it and clears the gear linkage like the advertising says. Here is the hardware. I have the F62, but the screw on drains don't fit between the plug and the gear.. I've tried both the 180 straight and 90 degree elbow versions. There is only an inch of clearance from the bottom of the F62 to the top of the obstruction on the nose gear. I figure I'm doing something stupid.

Attachments:

More
1 week 3 days ago #2017

• Robert Marks
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 days 8 hours ago #2027

Steve,

It's on the way, it looks like it might do the trick. Thanks!!

Bob

More
1 day 6 hours ago #2029

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationHi Robert;
I'm afraid there's more to the story about oil drain valves for your Arrow. But there's good news too!
The FAA issued airworthiness directive 81-11-02 R2 that mandated that placards saying, "Unapproved Oil Drain Valves Can Cause Inadvertent Draining When the Gear is Retracted - Use Only Piper Approved Part" be placed one on each side, on the lower engine mount beneath the intake and exhaust tubes. The AD mandates that Piper drain valve part number 492-172V be installed. Unfortunately, this valve lists for over $1800 from Piper.
It sounds like you have the valve but don't have the fitting that opens the valve to drain the oil that will work on your airplane.
There's a picture of the correct valve here:
I spoke with Ryan at Saf Air ( www.saf-air.com ) He asked that you call him and said they have a new low profile valve that may work for you. Ryan's number is (734) 522-8360..

Time to create page: 0.675 seconds