Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon NAVAJO CHIEFTAIN LANDING GEAR ISSUE

More
7 months 19 hours ago #2136

Not your A&P
but...

the pressure port for gear cycle tests that your A&P did just replaces the pressure from the engine mounted pumps. If everything worked fine with the hydraulic mule then that eliminates powerpack, solenoid, check valve, and other issues. Pumps not producing the pressure needed that the hydraulic mule does. Both at the same time, like winning the lottery?

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 months 1 week ago #2129

Good luck.

• GREENWORKS CUSTOM
  • GREENWORKS CUSTOM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 1 week ago #2128

Hi Kristin!

Thank you! And you are correct....I have never checked the pumps individually (good lesson for me....)

I am going to hook up a pressure gauge and test each pump to try and narrow down the issue.

Have a Happy New Year!

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 months 1 week ago #2127

Thank you Kristin for your expertise.
Kent

More
7 months 1 week ago #2126

Paul,

Given that both pumps are the same, then it seems more likely that you have an internal leakage in the control pack, though it is possible for both pumps to be failed as often pilots don't check them individually. This allows one to fail and the system run with only one working for an extended period of time.

I don't know if any easy way of testing the pump on the engine. I am sure that something could be rigged up, but the truth is that the labor expense of doing that would exceed the cost of replacing one of the pumps and testing again.

Kristin

• GREENWORKS CUSTOM
  • GREENWORKS CUSTOM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
7 months 1 week ago #2125

Good Morning Kristin!

This is Paul. And yes, you had replied to me before! Thank you for your time!

To answer your question, I have tried the 'gear handle down' check with each engine individually and the result is the exact same. 14 pumps with the emergency gear handle in order to get the gear handle to move to the neutral position.

What I was hoping for was a test that could be done on the hydraulic pumps without taking them off. I just find it hard to believe that both pumps failed at the same time!

Again, thank you for your time and advice Kristin!

Sincerely,

Paul

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds