Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Gear Up and Down microswitch location

• STEVE ELLS
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #2154

You're right, the diagram can be confusing.
I'm going to describe the circuit that controls the motor.
1) wire from Landing Gear Control and Warning Circuit Protector 5 amp Circuit breaker goes to:
2) a terminal (#12) . Three other wires go from this same terminal to the downlock switches.
3) from the terminal power is carried to the squat switch; when the weight is off the left MLG the squat switch moves to fly position, power flows through the switch to one side of the pressure switch. If the pressure is up, the switch is open, no power flows on.
If the pressure is low, then the pressure switch closes and power flows through it to the "slow" air pressure switch. If the airspeed is sufficient, the "slow" switch toggles a switch allowing current to flow to the solenoid that, when closed supplies power to the gear up winding in the bi directional landing gear pump electric motor. Power through the solenoid to the gear actuator handle "up" contact then to ground.

I suggest you and your mechanic check to see if all the gear, esp. the mains are rigged to get full "up." The procedure is in the manual. Let me know if you need a copy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Paul Sodagar
  • Paul Sodagar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #2153

Thanks Steve.

I’ll have to have a closer look. I can see the one on the nose wheel it’s the main gears where I can only remember seeing one micro switch.

I wonder if I can ground test it by closing each on in turn

My fear is that the hydraulic pump keeps running if it thinks the gears are down - hard for figure out from wiring diagram how the pumps pressure regulator and the switches determine when to stop the pump

• STEVE ELLS
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #2149

Paul,
Unlike the PA28R versions your PA32R does have gear up limit switches. The following sentence is from the service manual:
When the gear begins to retract and the downlock hook disengages, the down limit switch
actuates to the (NC) position and is in series with the (NC) circuit of the up limit switch allowing the
gear unsafe light to come on. The gear unsafe light will remain on until the gear is up and all up limit
switches are actuated to their normally open (NO) position.
In other words, there are no gear up lights; the indication that all three gear are up is an extinguished gear unsafe light.
But there are gear up switches. If you're getting a gear unsafe light when flying it can be caused by one or more of the gear up switches not being "made" or as you say, a loose terminal at the switch.
It can also be caused by the gear not being rigged correctly so it is not going all the way up to "make" the switch.
The wiring diagram I have does not show the location of the up switches; nor does the service manual. But I know they are up in each wheel well. Find a small switch with wires running to in in the wheel well and that's it.
Sorry I can't be more help on this.
Steve

• Paul Sodagar
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #2147

hi, sorry
PA32R-301, 1983

Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Paul Sodagar.

• STEVE ELLS
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #2146

Hi Paul, Please tell the year and model of your airplane. This will speed things up and give me a chance at providing the correct answer.
Steve

• Paul Sodagar
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #2145

Does anyone have a photo or diagram of which switch is the gear down and which is the gear up switches?
I am getting an intermittent gear unsafe warning when in the retracted position and wanted to rule our obvious loose connections etc

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds