Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon PA32-6/300 cabin door seal replacement

More
10 May 2022 15:51 #3503

Hi Travis,
Thank you.
I sure will.
Plan to start the next text writing session later this week or early next week. Will start then.
S

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Travis Wisniewski
  • Travis Wisniewski's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
06 May 2022 16:47 #3497

Sure all yours let me know if you want me to email higher resolution or different shots

More
11 Apr 2022 15:58 #3460

Hi Travis,
Thanks for posting this. Do you mind if I steal the text and photos to put in the Piper Flyer magazine?
Steve

• Travis Wisniewski
  • Travis Wisniewski's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
09 Apr 2022 16:09 #3455

Just replaced my door seal to cabin door on 67’ Cherokee six. Ordered seals from knots2you as well as new eyebolts and pins.
Pretty easy job. Remove door. The time is spent getting old seal off and cleaned up. Peerco 321 adhesive remover was able to dissolve not only old glue but the foam as well. A brass brush and several cloth shop towels later you get an ok finish. Using a green pad on a drill I got the finish I was looking for. Quick acetone wipe down and prepped seal for adhesion by trimming it careful not to stretch it.
Start at top middle by upper door latch and apply the 3m seal glue to just the outboard lip and smear on seal

on the fatter edge of the seal. It cures rather fast so 12” sections at a time was best practice. This seal fits in the 90 deg bend if you see a Cessna door seal video on you tube, that video does not depict the proper placement of a Piper seal. Close your door for the next 24-48 hours and you’re all done.
The eye bolts are easy, 1 piece of trim removed and 1 nut on each eye bolt set about 1” or so under side paneling. On my side panel there was 4 screws I removed to be able to get under easily to remove eyebolt nuts.
Make sure you true up your door and shim properly per instructions prior to installing new seal!
Took me about 5 hours, about 4 hours of that was cleaning old seal and glue off.
Lastly the seal comes with a tag to put in logbook and A&P to sign off for you.

Last edit: 09 Apr 2022 16:25 by Travis Wisniewski. Reason: Typo

Time to create page: 1.162 seconds

Cookies